36. A fate worse than death

News had spread quickly that Garreth was barred from attending the masquerade ball at the end of the year. Everyone was shocked by this revelation. Half of Hogwarts knew the truth - that he had made a dangerous potion and used it. The other half of Hogwarts was going off of speculation.

One thing Sebastian had noticed was the sheer amount of students who looked at him like he either had the plague, or was the plague. He was happy that Garreth and Leander were leaving him alone, but there were students he had never even spoken a word to who looked walked the opposite way in order to avoid him.

When he entered the Undercroft, Sebastian was met with the view of Y/N and Ominis pacing with looks of worry on their faces. Sebastian cleared his throat, making his presence known.

"Thank Merlin." Y/N exhaled, giving the brunette teen a hug.

"What's going on? Why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" Sebastian pulled away.

"There are rumours going around, Sebastian. And not the prank or joking kind." Ominis explained.

"Okay? We've dealt with rumours before. Which witch or wizard has stirred the cauldron this time?" Sebastian scoffed.

"I heard someone in my common room claim that you...that you used the Imperius curse on Garreth, and that's why he made the Amortentia potion." Y/N exhaled.

"So what? You know it's not true. Fuck them." Sebastian shook his head.

"This isn't a delicate matter, Sebastian. Imagine what would happen if the professors caught wind of this rumour? They'd definitely have to investigate it. Plus, Garreth knows about you teaching Y/N the unforgivable curses. There's no way he wouldn't not tell Professor Weasley if she heard this rumour." Ominis warned.

"Oh Merlin. You're right. This...is bad." Sebastian's face dropped.

Right then, an owl dropped a letter in Sebastian's hand. He held the crisp white envelope in his hand, a look of pure fear on his face. His eyes were glaring down at the envelope in worry.

"Y- You don't think?" Y/N looked at Sebastian, who shook his head.

"What just happened?" Ominis asked.

"An envelope just dropped into Sebastian's hand." Y/N informed, watching as Ominis furrowed his eyebrows. He was clearly just as worried as they were.

"You cannot delay the inevitable, Sebastian. Open it." Ominis exhaled.

"I- I can't Ominis. What if Professor Weasley has heard the rumour and wants to confront me about it?" Sebastian's hand was shaking, the envelope shaking with it.

"I'll open it." Y/N gently took the envelope from Sebastian's hand and opened it, trying to remain calm. Y/N's eyes glanced down the page, getting a gist of what the message entailed.

"So?" Sebastian and Ominis waited for Y/N's answer.

"Professor Weasley would like to...discuss your future here, at Hogwarts." Y/N bit her lip, trying to hold back tears.

Y/N told Sebastian that she wasn't necessarily ready to go back to their relationship, but a friendship would be okay. She was happy with this. Whether or not she'd ever harbour romantic feelings toward Sebastian again, the thought of him being taken to Azkaban hurt her.

Sebastian sat in Professor Weasley's office, her eyes glued to him, as if she was waiting for him to admit to his wrongdoings. He couldn't handle the silence, so he cleared his throat and spoke.

"Have I done something worth discussing my future?" Sebastian asked, watching as Professor Weasley leaned back in her chair.

"I am unsure at this time, Mr. Sallow. It has come to my attention that some students have been claiming some rather...worrisome things about you." Professor Weasley explained.