Chapter 33.

Salvarina's POV:

"Hiyaah!" I charged towards the wooden dummy with all my force and as it struck the dummy, the sword in my hands flew out and it struck perfectly in the muddy ground.

"Your posture and attack mechanism is really poor." The burly man said while adjusting his eyepatch.

"Now go and retrieve the sword " He commanded.

This beefy guy with a rugged beard and eyepatch is Sir Ernest Wilde. He is a master swordsman in the Empire. He fought many battles during the reign of the previous king. He is a war hero and now a sword instructor. He has long retired and was now teaching youngsters to get into knighthood.

I went towards the muddy ground as mud began to stick on my boots. I was trying to pull the sword out but no matter what the sword didn't bulge.

"Hurry up lass!" He called out.

He's definitely a good sword instructor. But the problem is I'm not fit for swordsmanship and I'm sure that he must've noticed it by now but no matter what he's not saying it.

I put all my force on the sword and was trying to pull it out from the mud but alas I didn't succeed.

Rain drops began to fall from the sky while I just stood there with sore hands. I huffed out and bent down to dig the mud around the sword.

Wet footsteps were heard coming from behind me.

"Look here lady Salvair. How about we take a break. We'll start our training after the rain has subsided" He said looking at me. His eyes clearly reflected something .Was it dissatisfaction or disapproval perhaps disappointment ?

I was left alone in the rain. I looked at the sword and at my hands. My hands were covered in mud. Rain was pouring on me as I kept sitting there on my knees.

I have no other choice. In order to inherit the title of the Duchess it's compulsory to master a weapon.

The Duke was a great swordsman so it was somewhat expected of me to be one too but no, Salvarina had never ever touched a single weapon in all her life.

I sighed and clenched my fists as the rain had already washed away the mud on my hands. I stood up and walked away. After taking a few steps I noticed a few archery boards in the rain. I went forward and took a bow and some arrows.

I decided to give it a shot. I took a deep breath and pulled the string with the arrow. I let the string go as the arrow flew forward missing the target.

I tried again and missed gain. I didn't stop but repeated the process again and again until it struck on the target.

"I did it" I murmured looking at the target. Sure it didn't hit the centre but still it was on the target. I smiled a bit.

Maybe I could ask for archery instead of swordsmanship.

The rain was still pouring. I took the bow and went back to meet Sir Ernest.
He was examining the swords.

I was drenched in the rain and my boots were all muddy. My appearance in short was a mess.

He paused and looked at me then noticed the bow I had in my hands.

"This! I want to master archery instead of swordsmanship!"  I showed him the bow as I put it forward. Thunder began to roar as lightning struck behind me.

He looked at the bow then at me and then sighed. He began to massage his temples.

"Mylady, inorder to be the Duke's successor you are required to learn a noble fighting technique " He voiced out.