Chapter 35.

Unknown's POV:

"Master, I've brought the daily reports of the ladies you've asked us to spy on"My aid brought forward the files and placed them on my desk.

"You are dismissed" I commanded not taking my eyes off the files.

The first one was about lady Mirabel. I took the file and threw it in the trashcan.

Her reports are nothing but dull and mundane. I might as well stop spying on her but somehow she feels like a useful pawn in my game.

I glanced at the second file and took it. This one belongs to lady Salvair.

My lips twitched up a bit already feeling impatient to read about her lunatic acts. Lady Salvarina, she's the only variable in my game. At first she seemed useless but now her antics are far more intriguing than anything I've ever come across which makes me want to know everything about her.

I opened the file and began to read every little detail of her activities. Lady Salvair hasn't been getting sleep lately? I wonder what she's upto all night. She's progressing in archery?....Looks like she abandoned swordsmanship.

What else is there? Oh her father is making her a new lab since she blew up the previous one. Hmm..She spent the afternoon eating ice-cream while lying under a tree. She was reading a pink book? Looks like she's into those romance novels that noble ladies fancies.

The next thing I read spike up my curiousity. She was seen chatting with a man. The identity of the man is unknown but he seem to have raven hair and blue eyes. The contents of their conversation is also unknown.

I tapped the desk with my slender fingers while tilting my head reading the contents again and again.

Raven hair and blue yes... Could it be one of her distant cousins?

I sighed leaning backwards in my armchair. This really is interesting.

I smirked.

*knock knock* faint knocking sound came from the door.

"What is it?, Jade" I asked looking at the door.

He knows very well as to not interrupt me during my leisure hours.

The blonde boy opened the door and walked in. He had an envelope in his hands.

" A message arrived from your father" Jade handed over the envelope to me.

I slowly opened the envelope and read the contents.

An imperial ball? Looks like I can finally unveil my plans.

"Jade, we're going back"I announced.

"Huh?.. Alright,your grace" Jade was caught off guard for a moment there. Even I was surprised with father's sudden urge to call me back before the planned time.

"Also Jade, I want you to investigate someone..." I said narrowing my eyes letting out my sinister grin.

I should arrange my chess pieces. It's time.

Salvarina's POV:

Ugh! Such a nuisance!

An invitation letter has arrived from the imperial palace. This is the ball which Elixir and I was speaking about. The ball where Mirabel is to be announced as the crown princess.

I don't mind attending since it is such an important event where all the characters of the book are meeting together. The only problem is that I'm the prince's ex-fiance as well as the ex-crown princess.

The amount of eyes scrutinizing me will be more than a dozen. It's not like I can ditch such an important ball either. I'll have to attend it to solidify my position as the legal successor of the Salvair duchy.

"Mylady, shouldn't we prepare an amazing dress for the ball?" Mary asked with sparkling eyes.

She sure is more excited than me.

"Yes, Mary. Call all the tailors from the most exquisite boutiques!" I proclaimed.

"On it, mylady! " She said huffing and dashed away like a little mouse.

She looked more like a squirrel though?

Ah.. anyways, I should carefully prepare for the ball. Those vultures will be ready to attack me the moment I step in. Not to mention I haven't been attending any tea parties over the past months.

I should develop some strategy...

"Mylady!" Mary's voice boomed through the hallways and reached my ears.

Wow that was fast...

She barged in the bedroom and was panting heavily.

"Woah! Mary, calm down. There there" I said calming her down.

"They are here! The tailors!" She shouted.

Wait? ..Whaaaaaat!

"How did they came here so soon?"I was more than surprised. The tailors were supposed to be extremely busy in this season. There's no way they got here just as Mary informed them.

"That- his grace,the Duke had already called them" She said making me gasp.

Duke Vincent Salvair? He called them for me? I was so overwhelmed by this. He's such a nice father. Although my papa is the best father in the world I won't mind accepting the Duke as one of the best father candidates.

"Let's go, Mary!"I announced as I made my way towards the tailors with Mary tailing behind me.

I'm gonna be a fashion icon.

"Kekekekekekekeke "I let out an evil laugh.

As I was walking through the corridors all the maids and servants looked terrified at my expression and began to run away from me. I didn't notice them as I was busy forming my strategy.

The door to the living room sprang open. As I stepped in the room I noticed a woman wearing a velvet skirt and white shirt. She adjusted her glasses while looking at me..more like analysing me. There were other people standing behind her.

Then she gave me a gentle bow as well as the others. I nodded in their way.

"Lady Salvair, I'll have to remind you that this is a busy season and if not for his grace to call us on time you wouldn't have gotten our appointment" She dictated.

Shouldn't she start off by introduction? Looks like she's an arrogant old hag afterall.

"Yes well...you are?" I asked folding my hands and pressing them against me.

"I thought you were already informed?" She asked surprised then sighed. "My name is Volda. I'm from the Erisque boutique" She said looking at me.

"Very well then miss Volda let's get into business shall we?" I said while stepping forward still folding my hands.

"Yes we shall. But first of all I would like to know what kind of dress mylady has in mind?" She inquired raising her chin a bit as her glasses flashed because of the light falling on it.

"Dress? Who said it was a dress?" I said smirking.

Miss Volda looked at me baffled and so did everyone else.

"Mylady, you know that this is a royal ball and you are requested to be present there in your best " miss Volda said frantically.

"Enough with the chattering miss Volda. I know the royal etiquette." I replied slightly glaring at her. "Now what I want you to do is...."

      ⚜️