2.2 A Meal for One

Crickets chirped welcomingly at Aria as she crossed the smooth pavement toward the semi-circle staircase that led to the double doors. As imposing as the large house was, the old, colonial home was the only place that Aria had ever learned to call home. And as arrogant as her Uncle Bhuv and Aunt Tamasa could be, they had been nothing but kind and understanding to her. They were her pseudo-parents, she supposed, although she could never commit to expressing that feeling to them.

Silently, she swept up the steps and stood motionless in front of the doors. Hesitation tangled her nerves and she allowed her gaze to caress the front yard with calm patience. Her stomach began to ache with an uneasy feeling, one that made her tighten her grip on her purse. Nighttime was an enemy's playground. They could do anything in the darkness when it would be even more difficult to see them. Aria made a mental note to ask Yasmine for some night-vision goggles.

Before she could do a thorough examination of the yard, a shadow passed by the door and pulled the soundless wood open. Standing in front of Aria, her silhouette glowing in the hallway light, was the middle-aged, expensively dressed Lady Tamasa Kumar, her aunt. Momentarily blinded by the brightness, Aria was unable to react quickly enough before her aunt jumped on her, bringing Aria into a fierce hug.

"Aria, darling, where have you been?!" Tamasa snapped. "Noah has been whining non-stop about you." Her eyes roved over the beautiful gown her niece was wearing. She gasped. "Dear Lord...Aria don't tell me that you had a date! Was it with a common boy? You know that they're beneath us!"

"Auntie, I'm fine!" Aria gathered her composure, effortlessly switching facades from concentrated assassin to innocent niece. She smiled pleasantly - a practiced, trained smile that she had learned from only the best tutors. "I told you I had to bring one of my friends to a party. Somebody spilled a drink on me so the host let me borrow one of her dresses."

"Do you have friends?" Bhuv, who was passing the doorway, asked incredulously. The ruggedly handsome man with a tiny mustache beamed at his niece. "Come in, Aria. Tamasa, sweetheart, let the poor girl enter."

Aria stepped into the house and the smell of freshly baked bread hit her nose like a wall of bricks. Her stomach growled and she blushed, leaning away from her scrutinizing aunt.

"They didn't offer you food at the party?" She asked skeptically.

"I didn't take any. They had nuts," Aria lied. Her stomach growled again, and she was simultaneously embarrassed and relieved. "Let me go change and I'll come back down." She quickly kissed her aunt and uncle on the cheek and rushed to her bedroom, being careful not to trip or bump into any of the servants. Tamasa would give her hell if she hurt her knee again.

The fresh, airy spring dress was a relief to Aria's body. Peeling the gown off had never felt better, and Aria made a note to request that she pick the next costume for their operations. Madame had excellent taste, but her choices in fashion were undoubtedly pricey and overbearing. Sterling had it easy - all suits were basically the same.

"Did you at least enjoy the party?" Tamasa seemed to have changed tactics when Aria returned downstairs. They both were in the kitchen, preparing the cake that Noah had apparently refused to touch without Aria's presence.

"It was okay." She shrugged, licking icing from the spoon. "I didn't stay for long."

"Where was it?"

"Close to Knightsfield."

"That dirty place?" Her aunt sucked her teeth. "Full of beggars and commoners? Aria, we raised you better than this."

Aria rolled her eyes. "Auntie, it's not their choice to be beggars. Besides, there were hardly any on the streets."

"The government must be doing something about them, then," Tamasa muttered. "Good riddance. They were spoiling the quality of our clothes."

Again, Aria rolled her eyes. "Did Noah open any gifts?"

"No." The older woman sighed tiredly. "As usual, he's being his stubborn self and insisting on waiting for his sister." She gave Aria a weary smile. "That boy's love for you is immeasurable."

"Yeah..." Aria's gut sloshed queasily about her system. She licked her lips and put the spatula in the sink. Damn it, Auntie, she thought. Why the hell would you say that?

"Were there at least any upper-class boys there? Any sons of Lords or Dukes or Viscounts? Perhaps even a Prince?" Tamasa sounded hopeful.

"No, Auntie." Aria's cheeks darkened. "I wasn't really paying attention, to be honest."

"Aria!" She sighed in exasperation. "We have to take you to better parties. Finding a good man for you is important, sweetheart."

"Does such a man even exist?" Aria questioned, swinging her feet. "Would he be able to look past everything?" Would he be able to love a killer?

"Firstly, you aren't fat, you're curvy," Tamasa began, thinking that she knew what Aria was implying. On the surface level, she was right. "Secondly, your legs are fine now. A little weak, but they're better. They've been better since you started therapy." She sent her niece a warm, gentle smile. "Aria, darling, there is a man out there for you. There has to be. And your Uncle and I will do everything in our power to find him for you."

"Thanks, Auntie." Aria tried for a smile but only got her lip to quirk. It was enough for her aunt, but it sent Aria's mind reeling. Her? Get married? She doubted it. She was past her prime for most men, and as she was nearing her twenty-ninth birthday, she knew her aunt and uncle were getting desperate. If she wasn't married by her thirtieth birthday, her inheritance would be sent to the government, and that wasn't something they wanted for her. They fought frugally to get Aria her birthright but to no avail.

Aria didn't care much about her inheritance, at least, not more than she cared about her reputation and double life. Living with her aunt and uncle gave her the secrecy that she needed to be an assassin. To the world, she was known as the reclusive, shy niece of Lord and Lady Kumar. The coveted but mysterious woman. Nobody knew her. She wouldn't let anyone know her. The mystery that engulfed her identity was what allowed Aria to be truly free, and getting married would clear that fog. Her identity reveal would be on a timer the moment she tied the knot with someone.

Get married, huh? Aria thought sourly, following her aunt to the common room. That's a fantasy that I can only indulge myself in my dreams.

"Aria!"

Noah's shout of glee interrupted Aria's vigorous train of thought, and her mind instantly cleared when Noah lept into her arms. The small, sixteen-year-old boy eagerly greeted his sister, holding her tightly in his hold.

"You made it!" He grinned at her, looking much younger than he actually was. "I thought you ran away...again."

Aria smiled fondly. "I wouldn't miss your birthday for the world, little man," she laughed. "Speaking of..." she reached into her bag and pulled out Noah's birthday gift, handing it to the glowing boy. "Happy birthday, kiddo."

"You got it for me!" Noah smiled toothily, happiness pouring from every pore on his skin. He studied the DVD and hugged Aria again, laughing carelessly. "Thank you, Aria!"

"You're welcome, buddy." Aria ruffled his smooth, brown locks, blinking to keep her emotions in check. Even with her family, she controlled her feelings from getting too out of control, because the moment she let go, everything would come pouring out, destroying the dam that she had built for years to protect herself.

But as she watched Noah blow out his candles, open his gifts, and give everyone a slice of cake before cutting the dessert, a pang of loneliness reverberated in Aria's chest. It cut her like the dull blade of a knife, a brief reminder that no matter how hard she tried to believe it, there was only a meal for one set in her life. 

------------

unedited

We've met Aria's family! What do you think of them? Her aunt and uncle? Her cousin? What happened to Aria that made her insecure about herself? She certainly seems different from the last chapter...

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D