28.1 She's Not What She Seems

A drizzle had started as Aria drifted home. The light droplets kissed her bruised skin, igniting a flame of stinging recoil whenever they dragged down her skin and touched a mark that Sterling had left from his lips. The reminder of her partner...well, ex-partner, served to irritate Aria's flighty nerves and she allowed her attention to wander toward the group of soldiers marching the streets. They glanced at her and nodded, continuing their march.

"I heard a rumor that there are spies from Grandville here," a woman passing by Aria whispered not-so subtly to her friend. "Did you see the pamphlets the government gave out?"

"I did, I did," her friend said, nodding rapidly. "They're telling us to secure our funds in the bank in case of war. Honestly, do they really think we're that stupid to trust our life's work to these corrupt institutions?"

"The banks aren't corrupt!" The other woman argued. "Why, they've kept my husband's money safe for years! And what if war does break out? Haven't you heard all the horrid things that Grandville has done."

"To be quite fair, Grandville has been silent for the past few months. There hasn't been anything on their part since...well, since the new Prime Minister."

"A lousy one if you ask me. She has no brains." The blonde woman sniffed. "When war arrives we'll be wiped out and she'll be hiding in her bunker."

"Yet you disagree about the banks," her brunette friend sighed. "Look, I don't know what this country is going to, but I'm not about to stay in it any longer."

"You're moving?"

"Soon. My husband and I are planning to relocate east. There's a boarding school there that I think would be safer for my children anyway. Have you heard of it? St. Marienne's?"

"Ah, yes. We sent my daughter there for classical training," the blonde gushed. "It's an amazing place, you know. Very quaint and the teachers are very accommodating. Your daughter wishes to go into the arts?"

"My son," the brunette said, smiling. "My daughter is just like my husband. She's interested in the financial fields. He's taking her to observe his work in the government building."

"Perhaps she'll work better than the loons we have now," the blonde said. "I can't believe what they do...I swear..."

Aria heard no more of their conversation, as they had wandered to a nearby cafe to shelter themselves from the rain and grumbling sky. Her eyes narrowed in thought and she murmured to herself:

"Government trust is waning. Something isn't adding up." She regarded the dark sky. "Are people becoming aware of our organization? Madame did seem on the edge these past few days, evident by my departure. Perhaps..."

She was cut off by a loud roar from above, a warning call, and subsequently torrents of rain poured on the ground. Aria was soaked in seconds and she bolted down the street, weaving through the looming light posts and under different shops to try and remain somewhat dry.

The front yard was bare when Aria arrived. There was not a single man or woman jogging through the rain, seeking shelter or collecting supplies. Shovels and gloves were strewn on the moist ground and led a trail up to the front porch.

Aria found nothing too out of the ordinary until she entered her home. The hallways were dark; the lights seemingly killed in the storm. The floors were empty and the house was creaking in silence. It was too silent. The home wasn't as vibrant as it usually was and the commotion that usually filled the corridors and bedrooms was reduced to nothing.

Odd. Aria's hand crept toward her leg, where she kept a small gun in case of emergencies. It was her own gun - purchased years ago - so Madame couldn't take it from her when she left the organization. Slowly, Aria moved through the house, crossing the dark kitchen and tip-toeing toward the living room. She didn't pull her weapon out in case the assumed attack was really a surprise party (although she doubted it, since it wasn't the birthday of anybody important.)

The living room was swaddled in complete, blinding darkness, a contrast to the other rooms which were sullenly lit by the open windows. Aria dragged her hand along the wall, searching for the switch. When she found it and allowed for light to pour into the small gathering area, her breath left her lungs.

Standing before her were two Hades agents, both in dark garb and concealed faces, though it was obvious that they were women. One of them held a knife to Tamasa's throat and the other to Eloise. Behind them were a tied up Bhuv and Noah, horror striking their white, terrified stare when they caught sight of Aria.

"You..." Aria's mouth snapped shut. "What..."

"Good afternoon, Ms. Gemini," one of them greeted her coldly. "We've been waiting patiently for you."

"How long does it take one girl to return to her own home?" The other assassin complained, tugging Eloise by her ponytail. The young girl whimpered in response.

"Quiet!" Her partner growled. "Remember what I told you? I will do the talking."

"Right, right..." the girl quieted.

There was something vaguely familiar in their voices that sent the gears whizzing in Aria's mind. The hitch that caught Eloise's captor reminded her of someone.

"Vita?!" She whispered, pointing a shaky finger at the girl. "Rita..." the other one. "What....what are you..."

"Do you know them, Aria?" Tamasa struggled in Vita's grip. The knife pressed into her throat and she scowled. "Don't you dare do anything to my niece!"

"Niece, eh? So Madame was right," Rita sneered. "Aren't you surprised to see us, Aria? You're not saying anything. Somebody cut your tongue out already?"

"Let them go." The taunting uncovered Aria's voice. She took a step toward them and balled her hands up. "You want me, don't you? Release them."

"Since when does that ever work?" Rita scoffed. "You should know better than to play into the victim playbook."

Aria's jaw ticked. "I'm not playing games with you, Rita. Let. Them. Go."

"Make me, then," Rita jeered. "Come on. Fight me. Fight us. Show your family who you really are, you traitor."

"I don't fight weaklings," Aria growled. "I don't fight at all."

"Really?" Rita didn't move, but Aria saw a wet red line trickle down her aunt's neck. "You don't fight, you say, yet you are the reason that so many Dukes and Duchesses, Lords and Ladies, Viscount and Viscountess have perished, are you not? You and...Sterling, isn't it?"

"My niece has nothing to do with your barbaric kind!" Bhuv snarled. "She's a proper, innocent Lady who has played no part in your underground scheme."

------------------------

So...what do you think? Aria's family has been captured by agents of her old workplace. Will they reveal her identity? 

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D