7.1 It Can't Be Him

Kazuki was Aria's favorite person next to Sterling, though she would never admit so out loud. He was a schoolmate of hers from primary education that disappeared in secondary school and returned for high school. They bonded over their lack of parents and formed a strong friendship due to Lord Kumar's bond with Kazuki's uncle, Lord Sato. Aria's aunt even considered setting Aria and Kazuki in an arranged marriage, but Kazuki had soon found his match in the fierce Ura, a spy working in the rival government.

He had aged handsomely over the years. It was a joke around the syndicate that Kazuki could take over Sterling's job one day, but both boys took lightly to the jab and didn't let it ruin their friendship. Kazuki had dark brown hair and glimmering syrup-colored eyes. He wore glasses in public but used contacts on the job, similar to other common heroes. He was more agile when he was younger, but as the killer aged, his posture weakened.

Sterling and Kazuki were waiting for Aria when she arrived. The boys had already packed up Duke Gall's body in a bag resembling a pizza carrier and were chatting in low voices. Kazuki was wearing the outfit that Sterling had borrowed from Margot for their last mission. When both boys noticed Aria, grins lit up their faces.

"'Sup, Kumar." Kazuki never called Aria by her first name unless she was in trouble, which was rarely ever the case. He knotted fingers with her in their group sign. "Sterling was just telling me about your mission. You guys are lucky. Madame never lets me go out anymore."

"Maybe it's because you have a wife and baby?" Sterling cheekily suggested.

Kazuki scowled. "Yeah, probably. That old hag's just jealous. I'm not carrying a baby and yet I'm on family leave while Ura still gets to work? It's not fair."

"Life's not fair, dude," Sterling said. He glanced at Aria, noting that she had been quietly staring in the distance throughout their conversation. "Hey, are you okay?"

"Huh?" Aria blinked. "Oh, yes, I'm fine." She smiled. "Congrats on the baby, Sato. How'd the body fit into the bag?"

Kazuki grinned. "Well, Drazek and I had to cut a few limbs off and fold some parts, but we managed to squish him inside. Yasmine created this new gadget that condenses the atoms of a human's body. It's still in testing, though, so she didn't let me bring it."

"We gotta do something for Yasmine one day," Sterling said. "After everything she's done for us, it's the least we can do."

"True. If she ever shows her face." Kazuki hefted the bag onto his back. "It's like Yas is glued to that chair of hers. Her lab is her home. I don't think anything or anyone can get her out of her habitat."

"Except Madame, maybe."

Both boys laughed, but Aria remained quiet. Staring blankly into the distance, she studied the loose strands of couples - mostly rebellious teenagers - sneaking into the gardens, kissing and giggling with their partners. Her heart clenched, but only momentarily, as Sterling's hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality.

"Maybe I should give you a hickey," he smirked. "That would explain why we were out here for so long."

"No. You were lost," Aria responded dryly. "I had to go find you. I already told Auntie." She faked a smile for Kazuki. "I'll see you at the office tomorrow, Sato."

"See ya."

The three of them swiftly made their group sign under the dark shade of a nearby plant. Aria and Sterling held each other to create a wall for Kazuki to disappear behind, and to make it look like they were enjoying themselves with the faint strains of music that drifted into the area.

"Something's wrong," Sterling said, his voice becoming stern once Kazuki had gone. He pinned Aria with a fierce glare. "What is it?"

Aria met his glare fearlessly, even though her gut was tangling itself in a tight knot. "A personal matter," she responded.

Sterling scoffed. "Nice try, but evading my question won't help your case."

"I didn't evade your question. I answered it."

"With a vague response!" Sterling let go of her and tossed his hands in the air agitatedly. "Come on. I know you better than that."

"You do," Aria quipped. "So, you should know that I won't tell you. Besides, it's probably just a mistake that I made in the rush of things. It's nothing to worry about."

"Well, your legs are wobbling, your stomach is growling, and you have a much stronger memory than I do, so I doubt that." Sterling counted on his long fingers. "Look, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't care about you."

"I know that. We're partners. It's your job to care for me and I for you." Aria rubbed her arm and sighed. "To be honest, I have no idea why I'm being so defensive."

"I don't know either, but it must be bothering you if you're being like this."

"I..." Aria hesitated. In all honesty, she truly had no idea why she was keeping her discovery from Sterling. She had never doubted her expertise until that day, when she thought she saw the man from long ago. It must have shaken her badly if she was lying to her own partner, but Aria was always one to go for facts. She hated assumptions or myths. The hard truth was her lifeline, and she didn't want to lead Sterling on. Knowing him, he'd follow her mistake like a lost puppy.

She was subsequently saved by the bell, quite literally. The gong above the church rang like a conch shell over the town and the preaching from the mosque began, lighting up the bright beige walls of the next-door temple beside it. Groups of people rushed outside to pay their respects as the religious buildings all burst to life.

"It's late." Sterling checked his watch. "I should be going."

"Yeah?" Aria glanced at him. "I'll tell Auntie you left. We're gonna meet up at Madame's tomorrow, right?"

"Obviously. I gotta gloat to her," Sterling said with a grin. "I'll catch you later, yeah?"

"Yeah...later." Aria watched him soundlessly weave into the crowd and vanish behind the large rose bushes. He was like a vagabond, sneaky and suspicious in his movements, but also a lover of women, laughing and smiling like he was the purest man on earth. That was far from the truth, but Aria sometimes appreciated his double-personality.

"Come, darling." Lady Kumar appeared beside her, her husband and son in tow like scolded children. "We shall pay our respects to the Lord and go home. There are many things we need to discuss."

"Coming." Aria obediently followed her aunt to the temple of Lakshmi, their patron goddess. She and her family bowed before the almighty and each muttered a prayer to her. Aria, who stayed longer to be alone with the goddess of luck, waited until her family was out of earshot to whisper her short request:

"Oh great Goddess...please, please let me be wrong. Tell me that I didn't see...him."

----------------------------

So...who is this man? What do you guys think of Kazuki? What will happen next?

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D