17.2 Kissing Takes Practice

"Good afternoon, sir!" The boy spoke brightly, his frosty eyes gleaming in an almost reptilian way. "Is Aria home?"

"Yes, she's upstairs," Bhuv responded truthfully, despite wanting to lie to the intolerably good-humored boy. "Have you come to call for her again?"

"Not exactly," Edward replied. "I've come to inform her of our next outing. I requested to pick the location."

"Really?" Bhuv cocked an inquisitive eyebrow. "And would you be so kind as to tell me where you intend to take my niece?"

"Out," Edward said. "I found this quaint bar not far from here. It's relatively new and clean to my standards."

"A bar? To drink?" Bhuv eyed the young Lord skeptically. "And your intentions with her?"

Edward's lip kicked in a cheeky smile. "Sir, are you interrogating me? I must warn you, I've spent ten years in interrogation. I know my way around these types of questions."

"If you intend to court my niece, I would advise you to answer them," Bhuv stated briskly. "Your intentions?"

"To make her my wife," Edward stated. "To make her the Lady of my estate. Rest assured, Lord Kumar, I will provide well for her. Whatever she requests will be hers, I guarantee it."

"I can only imagine," Bhuv dryly murmured. "However, Edward, I must say, are you aware of the reputation that precedes you? Therefore, you must understand why I am so cautious. Aria is the pride of my family and my heir. It is only just of me to be skeptical of your intentions, for she will be quite the wealthy lady when I pass."

Despite the little gleam that rose in his dark, frosty gaze, Edward maintained his composure. "I hold no contempt towards you, Sir, and I understand why you are unsure. I know I do not have the best reputation after my imprisonment, but I have been declared guiltless and wish to prove myself so. Many young ladies vie to be my wife, but my eyes are solely on your niece."

"Indeed." Bhuv's eyes narrowed. "I have seen you with a crowd before. Do you intend for that to continue after marriage?"

"Edward?" Aria interrupted their conversation before Edward could reply, and the young lord seemed pleased at her intervention. He gaily brushed past Bhuv to trap Aria in his arms, brushing his forehead against hers in a loving manner.

"Aria, you've arrived!" He exclaimed. "And look how lovely you look! Wouldn't you agree, sir?"

"Yes," Bhuv said, the warmth in his voice directed to Aria and Aria only. "I must take your leave. I have business waiting for me." As he passed by Edward, he whispered: "You watch your back, young man. I may not be able to do anything against you, but I can't say the same for my niece."

"Is that a threat?" Edward hissed back. "I'm not afraid of a lady."

"You should be." He left after, bidding Aria farewell, and could only hope in the depths of his heart that Aria would release the leech that was wooing her - or rather, her wealth.

~***~

"Corduroy Tavern?" Sterling's thin eyebrow raised inquisitively at the name. "No, I haven't heard of it. Is it new?"

"It's just recently opened," Aria replied. She was sitting on a stool in Sterling's bathroom, carelessly watching the older man as he tended his prickly beard. The thin, stout hairs disappeared with one stroke of a razor, and Sterling was careful to keep only certain parts to maintain his distinguished appearance. Should he shave it all, he'd look like a teenage boy entering puberty.

"Where is it?"

"Near the border of Rouver and Grandville. Apparently, it's a very high-profile place."

"How did Eddie get into it, then?"

"Eddie?"

"I don't give respect to traitors." Sterling continued to shave. His naked top rested easily against the sink as he paid attention to his face. "So, how did Eddie get in?"

Aria sighed, annoyed at his playfulness in a situation that was tearing her heart apart. "He has friends in there; some guys from the fifth infantry. They got him access, and he wants to take me there tomorrow. He said he had something important to tell me."

"You should go. It could be important to our mission," Sterling said. He put the razor down and stepped away from the sink to view his masterpiece.

"I will." Aria watched him fumble with the towel over his waist. "I'm just..."

"Conflicted?" Sterling turned and gave her a soft smile. "You'll do fine. Just remember what we're working toward."

"I know that." Aria bristled. "It's just...I'm not used to this. I don't do this kind of work. My job is to get information and occasionally kill a guy or two. I'm not a seductress."

"It explains why you're allergic to feelings," Sterling joked, pulling his boxers from under his towel. "Look, it's all pretend. Imagine you're an actor."

"If I wanted to be an actor, I would have taken acting classes." Aria pursed her lips. "Nevermind. I can do this. It's not the lying part that I'm worried about anymore."

"Okay. Then, what is it?"

"He...he wants to kiss me."

"He wants to do what?!" Sterling didn't waste a second in reacting. He hadn't even fully processed what she had said and he was already whirling around to face her again, his wet snowy hair sticking to his cheeks like snowflakes. "He...he wants to kiss you?"

"Yes." Aria's nose wrinkled. "I could say no; honestly I couldn't say anything at that moment. I had no idea how to respond."

"Are you going to do it?" Sterling began to quickly wipe his body of the water he had neglected to dry earlier and pull his clothes on. "Will you kiss him?"

"I guess." Aria shrugged. "It'll help move the pace of the mission, and I'm supposed to be seducing him anyway. Although, I am a bit concerned."

"You should be." Sterling swiftly did the buttons of his coat. "Kissing a traitor like him?"

"I don't care about him. I probably won't even remember the kiss," Aria said nonchalantly. "What I'm concerned about is that...well...I've never been kissed before?"

"So?" Sterling opened the bathroom door, exiting into his bedroom with Aria behind him. "Does that mean you won't kiss him?" He tried not to sound hopeful but was obviously failing miserably.

"I will..." Aria bit her lip. She had no idea how to continue. After all, how does one ask for help practicing kissing? At that with the syndicate's Casanova and her partner? "I want to kiss you."

Sterling almost tripped. "What?!" His indignant response mirrored the look of shock that enlarged his handsome features. "M-Me?"

"To practice, idiot," Aria growled. "Look, I'd rather have my first kiss with you than with some numbskull like Edward. That way I won't feel guilty about it."

"You want to kiss me...?" Sterling repeated the phrase again, but this time, the surprised wrinkles of his face smoothed into a dreamy, soft expression. "Wow...a first kiss..."

-----------------

Oooh, what has Aria proposed? Does she have any feelings behind this idea, or is this just for the mission? To what lengths is she willing to go for her job? What about Sterling? How does he feel about this? 

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D