9.3 A Different Mission

Margot studied her favorite assassin with a scrutinizing eye, a frown marring her regally beautiful features. She sucked her teeth and slapped some papers on her desk, writing intelligibly and tossing them toward the duo.

"Nice work," she said at last. "Once again, another target has been done away with. We're getting closer to peace, both of you." She sternly looked at Aria. "I hope that disappearing act you pulled last week will be the first and last time that you do so."

"Yes, Madame." Aria, who had spent some time in the bathroom reprogramming herself, bowed. "I apologize for any inconvenience that I've caused you."

"The past is in the past. As long as you weren't doing anything to betray the organization, I'm willing to move away from the subject." Margot gestured to the mangled corpse of Duke Gall in one of the photographs. "Sterling, I see you had fun with your latest toy."

"I wish I was able to accept that praise, Madame, but Kazuki did that," Sterling said, leaning lazily on the chair with one leg over the other. "He took the photos as well."

"Indeed." Margot sifted through the small notes. "I'll have to have the same talk that I had with you with him." She clicked her tongue. "You boys do nice work, but you can be so reckless, you know?"

"It's more fun that way, Madame." Sterling winked.

"Aria, where were you? You were supposed to be watching them."

"I was occupied with providing an alibi...and with someone," Aria explained.

"And I don't need babysitting!" Sterling scoffed. "I'm capable of taking care of myself. I've been doing that for several years, Madame."

"As evident by your work, you do need babysitting, Sterling." Margot stood, revealing the dark green suit she wore. The hem was embroidered with red and the skirt stained with dark colors.

"It seems you had a busy morning as well, Madame," Sterling said cheekily. "Prisoners?"

"Recruits." Margot sighed, glancing at the photo of the young boy on her desk. She seemed to always gravitate to her stock photos, particularly the young, freckled boy. Aria guessed it was because he was the only one smiling in any of the pictures.

"Do we have more?"

"Yes. These children coming here think that being an assassin is child's play. They don't take it seriously. We kill people for a living. We're the government's dirty secret, working to keep peace between two previously warring countries. The number of lives we take just to keep our families safe is astonishingly devastating, but they think that they can pick up a gun and be Bradley Hole in one day!" She slammed her hands on her desk. "They have no restraint. They have no morals. They blindly play with expensive weapons like they're cheap plastic toys!"

"Recruits these days are fresh out of high school, Madame," Sterling sighed. "You can't expect much from them. Aria and I were like that too, remember?"

"Speak for yourself," Aria sneered. "I was way more mature than you were as a trainee."

"You still lack a sense of humor," Sterling sniffed. "I think you're allergic to it."

"You're allergic to maturity."

"See? This is what I'm talking about!" Margot dug her nails into the wood. "We need new agents, but these incompetent fools will die on their first mission and put our agency at stake!" She yanked her desk drawer open and tossed a manila folder on top of the photos. "This is your new assignment. It's long term, so I don't expect immediate results. Sterling, you'll play a hidden role in this. Aria." She nodded at the frowning girl. "This is your act."

"Finally. A break." Sterling leaned forward and grabbed the folder before Aria could. "Who're we killing next?"

"A spy from Grandvillle who's been training under the government for ten years," Margot said, watching as the two looked at the picture. Sterling's expression was unreadable, but Aria's jaw dropped. Her heart almost stilled when she saw their next victim.

"Madame...this is..." she couldn't find the words.

"Yes, Aria." Margot's reptilian eyes seemed to glimmer. "Your next assignment is no joke. Kill him. Kill Lord Edward James."

--------------------------------------

So...were any of you expecting that? Margot's not playing any games, but what's Edward's motive? 

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D