31.2 Margot's History

Chief Maeirs was an elderly but handsome man, dressed in plain clothes but decked with extremely rare jewelry. He had many tattoos and was quite fit for a man of his age. His voice was deep and sounded like two stones grating against each other, but he had an aura of pureness that Aria couldn't fathom belonged to anybody human. She had definitely misjudged the country and was regretting every step she took into his home and her past actions.

Don't dwell on that right now! Her mind scolded. We have the rest of our life to repent for the lives we took. We have to focus right now.

Aria nodded to herself, silently agreeing. One would think that she'd feel remorse for the countless, guiltless lives she had taken since the tender age of nineteen, but she didn't regret anything. While she knew she had killed innocents, she also knew that there were some in the group who had truly done awful things. Being an assassin helped keep her away from an asylum, and she was done feeling sorry for herself.

"You wish to know of my sweet Margot?" The chief kindly questioned Sterling, who was seated in front of him.

"We all do," the snowy-haired man responded, gesturing briefly to his brunette and dark-haired companions. "Is...is she from here?"

"Yes. She was born here and we lived for a while in this place. Then, the army from Rouver came and scattered our people. My dear Margot moved with her mother and I stayed with my other daughter." He nodded to the girl who had brought them. "I haven't seen her in a while, so anything new that you wish to know of her, I have no idea. She sends letters, of course, but that is all. Oh! I have a photograph of her and her son if you'd like to see it."

"In a minute," Kazuki said. "Did you say that Rouver instigated the attack on your people?"

"I have no doubt about it. We saw the country crest on their uniforms," the chief replied surely. "I believe there is a photo of the massacre, is there not? One of my little girl standing amongst her people in utter horror?"

"That was Margot?!" Aria exclaimed. The boys stared in confusion at her, but she ignored them and scooted toward the chief. "I-I've seen it before, but I was under the impression that it was an attack by Grandville. I had no idea...I had no idea that it was Margot." Edward was right! He wasn't lying to me.

"It is." The chief handed the picture to Sterling and Kazuki. "My poor little girl. It's the last picture I have of her as a child. This," he handed another picture to Aria. "-is her and her son. Unfortunately, he has passed away; recently, as a matter of fact."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Aria was saying, but when she got a good look at the picture she stopped. Horror strangled her, and she didn't notice when the photo fluttered to the carpeted ground. All she could see in her head was the little blonde boy's blue eyes sinking deep into her soul; the same blue eyes that she had seen on the stock model on Margot's desk, the same model that...the same model that had once been ginger-haired, playful soldier Edward James. 

----------------------

So...what do you guys think? What's going on? Who's lying? 

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D