26.1 The Exile

It took Aria and Sterling ten minutes to clean themselves up and mentally prepare themselves before they returned to their previous task. Even though she still had sticky cheeks and a pounding heart, Aria, once she was fully clothed, faced Sterling with her head held high and her lips pressed in a thin, confident line.

"Sterling." He looked at her. "I...I care about you. I understand your feelings, and I'm very flattered, but...I don't think it's very appropriate for me to evaluate my feelings for you right now. I have no doubt that I care about you, and I certainly like you and am attracted to you. But I...I need more time. I need to...I need to sort all of this out."

Sterling whilst studying the chip they had taken from Edward's home, smiled softly. He had been expecting that answer, knowing that Aria was rarely one for spontaneity. He bent and kissed her forehead, resting their heads together with a long exhale.

"Take your time, my lady," he whispered. "And when you're ready, I'll be here. Even if I have to wait my entire life, I'll always be here, by your side."

"As will I." She returned his smile. Making her hand into a scissor shape, they linked fingers and laughed.

"God, this day is so absurd!" Sterling chuckled, tossing his head back good-naturedly. "I swear, this day is just full of surprises."

"It is," his partner agreed, surveying the calm scenery with a collected gaze. One look at the duo, and you'd never think that they'd just had sex behind a tavern and subsequently a crying session. But since they had both released themselves of their burdening feelings, Aria and Sterling felt as fresh as the first time they had successfully completed a mission.

They left the street and briskly walked past Edward's destroyed home, where the police and other officials were plowing through the remains. Aria was grateful to notice that her uncle wasn't in the mix, but momentarily startled when she saw her aunt, who was peering through the gates to see the mess. Then, she realized, the older Kumar was probably there for the gossip.

"Your aunt seems to have aged ten years," Sterling noted, wincing when Aria knocked her elbow into his stomach. "Hey! It's okay for you to say it and not me?"

"She's my aunt. Of course, it's okay for me to say something like that. Don't you know, our whole family lives off of criticizing each other," Aria grumbled. "Come. Let's go before she sees me. I don't want to explain the white stains on the hem of my dress."

"I'm quite proud of them," Sterling chuckled. "It's not often that a woman makes me come, especially as quickly as you do."

"I'm honored. Now, move it!" She pushed his back, dragging him away from the crowd and puffs of black smoke. They blended in with the thick trees that bloomed in the early heat. Their clothes were designed to make them unnoticeable, and Aria was grateful that she had decided to wear her Hades uniform that day. Her aunt had filled her wardrobe with bright colored dresses which would have no doubt exposed her.

"I hope nobody at work heard our little session," Sterling muttered, pulling the listening device out of his ear. "Kazuki won't let me live it down."

"Madame knows. We won't get in trouble."

"Maybe you won't, but Kazuki looks after you like a little sister. He'll have my ass."

"You'll survive."

They continued to bicker as they wove in and out of the gray streets and alleys, keeping their heads down to mask their faces all the while. The darkness that had begun to overtake the sky covered them after a while, and they easily made it to the edge of town, where Rouver met the Silicone River.

Kazuki was waiting for them when they finally reached the headquarters' entrance. He was leaning by the heavy metal door, idly whistling and muttering to himself.

"You guys are late," he said, noticing them. "Madame's pretty pissed as it is. Are you sure you wanna face her looking like that?"

"Is now really the time to judge my appearance, Kazuki?" Aria snapped. "These uniform designs were your idea."

"I don't recall including sex stains on the skirt or vest," Kazuki responded dryly, his eyes roving over both of them. "Regardless, Madame's pissed."

"Did she say why?" Sterling gave him the devices he had borrowed from Yasmine.

"My guess is she's still upset about the whole murder situation we had here," he responded. "She's got us all working our asses off to find this guy, which I don't mind because I also wanna kill him, but honestly it's getting to be a lot. I've never had to work five nights in a row. I'm exhausted and I miss my wife."

"You work with her," Aria sighed. "But I understand. Sterling and I can help, though. We've finished our mission."

"Pfft. Sterling's been getting side missions like crazy since you started Project James," Kazuki teased, grinning at the taller, white-haired man who had the decency to blush. "I'm sure you've seen his bloody clothes before."

"I did." Aria pinched the bridge of her nose, feeling the beginnings of a migraine coil up to her brain like slick tentacles. "Hey, you didn't happen to hear anyone mention the fire on Hoyrd Street, did you?"

"A fire?" He frowned. "No, I didn't. Why? Is there one right now?"

"Yeah. Let's just say, Operation James is done...for good."

~***~

Aria had an unsettling feeling build in her stomach as Kazuki led her and Sterling through the office toward Madame's office. All the agents that were working at their desks would turn and stare throughout her quick sprint down their aisle. The trainees and their trainers would stop their practice and watch her, too, following her with their lifeless, sleepy eyes. Suddenly, Aria felt wary of allowing them to keep a gun in their hands.

"We're all dying inside," Kazuki muttered, yawning. He too had dark circles under his usually vibrant eyes, and his posture slackened miserably. "It's gotten so bad that we lost a new agent yesterday during a mission."

"Damn." Sterling bit his lip. "And Madame's done nothing about this?"

"I'm not sure if Madame is human anymore," the tired assassin replied sleepily. "She hasn't come out of her office for a week and I'm pretty sure I've heard her breaking things in there." He gestured toward the mahogany door with a shaky hand. "Good luck. I hope you come out alive."

--------------

So...we're finally here...what will Madame say? (Also I'm going on vacation and have a fever 😅so my author's notes will be kinda short. 

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D