14.3 A Date with an Assassin

"It's alright. I can't blame you for being curious. A woman in politics hasn't been a socially acceptable thing until recently." Edward tilted his head toward the sun. "Have you been to any balls recently?"

"I live with my aunt. What do you think?" Aria asked dryly.

Edward laughed. "You're so blunt, little pigeon. You really haven't changed."

"Neither have you," Aria retorted. "You're still as shy as ever."

"Shy, perhaps, but you must admit that I've grown a tad out of my cowardice."

"A little, I'll admit. I think that time in Grandville changed you."

"Changed me for the better?" Edward's eyes widened. "Little pigeon, I doubt that." His shifty gaze studied the ground. "Life there was cruel. I had no intention of staying, and all I wanted was to come home."

"I think it changed you for the better." Aria tucked some of her hair behind her ear and scooted closer to him so that their thighs were touching. "You've become more assertive. Have I ever mentioned that I love that in a man?"

She heard some coughing in her ear but ignored it to focus on Edward's expression. She didn't need to see Sterling choking on coffee for the tenth time (honestly, if he didn't like it, just don't drink it!).

The man before her had wide, glassy eyes and a jaw that dropped to an unfathomable level. It was truly a face to be made a mockery of, as Edward looked less beautiful than a corpse frozen in a fearful position. His cheeks periodically reddened, giving some color to his white skin, and he finally found the voice in him, speaking in a squeaky voice.

"You...you do?"

Aria bit her lip and fluttered her lashes coyly, hoping she looked desirable and not like a blind raccoon. "I do." She dragged a finger up his chest, playing with the buttons of his uniform. "Don't tell anyone, but I find Grandville men much more assertive than Rouverian men. Isn't that odd?"

"It...it is..." Edward gulped. "Aria..."

"Yes?"

"You're...you're beautiful..." Edward moved his hand and caressed her cheek, thumbing her jawline and dragging it up to her ears. He cupped the back of her head and brought her closer to him, finding some of his confidence. "Being there, all alone...I realized how much I missed you...how much I wanted you."

"Oh...me too..." Aria forced herself to keep smiling, even though her face wanted to contort into its own, unfavorable corpse. She could hear Sterling chuckling in the comms, irritating her further.

"I'd like to do this date again...someplace different, of my choice," Edward continued. He brought his face up and Aria's heart stilled. He wasn't...he wasn't going to kiss her, was he?

"Sure, anywhere you'd like!" Aria blinked and pulled back, resting on her knees. She regained her composure and offered him the best smile she could. "I enjoyed this date as well. It was nice to see the new you."

"The Grandville me?" Edward smirked. "The rough barbarian type that I had become in prison? You like that?"

Rough barbarian? More like a baby seal, Aria thought, eliciting another round of laughter from Sterling. Oh, shut up!

"I do." She forced herself to remain calm. "It's something that's grown on me. I'm done with these soft boys. You're exactly my type, Edward."

"I knew it," Edward smirked and took her hand, pressing a chaste kiss against her skin. Her muscles recoiled, but not in a pleasurable way. Aria once again felt the strong urge to vomit. "You were playing hard to get with me, you little minx."

"I figured you'd like a game of cat and mouse," Aria forced out. God, is this little minx thing going to be continuing?

Yes, yes it is, Sterling responded, thoroughly amused.

"Little pigeon." Edward, who had removed contact briefly to regard his watch, looked seriously at the sun and sighed. "I have to go. Work is calling me at this unfavorable time." He met her gaze. "I'm sorry. I wish I could stay longer and talk, but..."

"It's alright!" Aria stood with him quickly. "Go, don't let me hold you."

"I want to meet again. Allow me to pick our next date." Edward gripped her hands as though his life depended on it. His eyes hid a dark secret that was brimming to escape and the muscles of his neck strained. It was like every fiber of his being was preventing him from saying the very thing that he wanted to say.

I hope he isn't going to profess his love. Aria cringed. A public rejection was her worst nightmare.

"You can pick the next place. Just let me know ahead of time so I can...pick my dress."

"Oh, is that so?" A competitive lift saturated Edward's voice. "Well then, I'd advise you to wear something dark and tight-fitting. The place we're going to will require something as such."

"Something revealing, huh?" Aria grimaced. Great. Exactly what society loves for women to wear. Scandalous clothes. I hope he isn't selling me to a brothel...not that I would let him live long enough to, anyway. "What suits your fancy?"

"Surprise me." Edward hesitated, then, began to lean forward, his face edging closer and closer to Aria's until their noses were touching. His breath fanned over her lips and made her skin crawl. As his mouth began to close over hers, Aria's fighting instinct kicked in and she jerked away from Edward.

"Huh?!" She couldn't hold back her exclamation. "I..."

"Sorry." Edward blushed and looked at the ground bashfully. "I...I thought you..."

"No..." Aria's cheeks burned and she blinked several times. "No, I...er..."

"It's okay." Edward's soft voice placated her. "Maybe next time? I suppose I should have given you some sort of notice beforehand. That wasn't very gentlemanly of me."

"No, it's okay. I was just caught off guard." Aria ran a hand through her hair and exhaled shakily. "So, I'll see you soon?"

"Yes, of course!" He smiled, displaying a row of shiny teeth, all of them straight but one. "I'll see you soon, Aria."

-----------------------------------

How did the date go? Was Edward put-off by Aria? Does he suspect anything? What do you think they'll do for their next date?

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D