35. Epilogue

The news spread like wildfire over the span of a week. Hades and its activities came to light and the assassins were subjected to abuse and isolation, Aria and Sterling included. Their names were denounced and tarnished, but with the proof Aria had collected from Margot's office, the government was also effectively destroyed; its name becoming as respected as a flea. Peace was subsequently made with the Grandville government, which was appalled to learn of the lies that had been spread about their country. Money from Hades' inventory was given to the reservation and the assassins were reintroduced to society as innocent people caught in the mix. With Aria's aunt and uncle's help, their names were cleared and Sterling was given his respected title back.

Peace had been achieved, and Aria was proud to hang up her assassin hat and use the degree that she had gotten to work in the archives. She spent her days fixing up old sheets of information and occasionally teaching self-defense at the Bishops All Girls Academy. To her surprise, she was promoted to a minor government position (something she suspected was aided by Sterling and Eloise). Sterling himself had been given a job in the House and worked on improving relations with Grandville with the help of a healed Kazuki. He had been acquitted of the death of his parents, the blame transferring to Margot and the group that had conspired with her.

In the months that followed, improvements were made to the country's boundaries. Corduroy Tavern became a hotspot for many Grandvillians and the soldiers who were meandering there with Edward before had been arrested and jailed. Bridges were built over ponds and rivers and new railroads under Sterling's supervision were in the process of being constructed.

To conclude, life was moving magnificently for Aria and Sterling, who had moved into Sterling's home together after an impromptu marriage at the discretion of Tamasa, who, while trying to be more open-minded, still refused to budge on the topic of co-habilitation before marriage. Aria decided not to mention that they had premarital sex.

It was on one hot, Friday afternoon that Aria, resting in the shade that the newly built porch provided, reminisced of her past as an assassin. She didn't want to admit that she was missing the fast-paced lifestyle, but she also found herself bored with the mundane day-to-day activities that she partook in. She had a craving for adventure, but unless she wanted to start another war, she doubted that there would be any such action in her life.

"David's driving me crazy," Sterling, running up to his relaxing wife on the porch, said loudly. He kissed her and nodded to the gardener pruning the bushes. "He wants to build another railroad. Another! Does he not know that we're on a budget?"

Aria chuckled, patting the seat beside her. "You know how excited David can get. He's just like his sister."

"Eloise is perfect for Noah," Sterling sighed. "She can match his bounciness. Unfortunately, I can't."

"You'll be fine." Aria patted his arm and kissed his cheek. "Are you done for the day?"

"Yep." He intertwined their hands. "I took a half-day to spend some time with my lovely wife. We don't get time to do that much ever since taking actual jobs."

"Hey! Assassin work was an actual job," Aria teased. "It's just that the work we do now is less...bloody."

"It was fun while it lasted, I have to admit. The thrill of the chase every day was absolutely terrifying and I loved it!"

"You loved getting your pants off."

"That's not true! Well...not completely."

"Uh-huh." She flicked his nose. "You don't have to lie to me. I know you enjoyed it."

"Not really." Sterling tapped his shoes. "Not when I've done it so many times that I've become immune to the thrill of an orgasm. Then, it's not fun anymore."

"Oh, poor baby." She ruffled his hair. "Well, at least you don't have to do that anymore."

"True. Now I do it with the woman I love." He smiled at her, kissing her hair. "But you know, one day, when we have kids, I'm going to teach them everything we learned as assassins. Maybe it'll be a good lesson for them not to get into bad company."

"Or let revenge consume your consciousness," Aria added. "How many kids are you thinking?"

"Two? That would be nice, and it's an easy number." Sterling's gaze became wistful. "Two little tykes running around, creating messes, and playing games. We'd have to keep the guns away from them, though."

"Just the guns?" Aria laughed. "We'll have to keep everything away from them. Knowing you and your genes."

"I turned out well enough!" Her husband huffed.

"Sure, you did." Aria pacified him and leaned into his embrace. She felt his soft skin melt into hers and sighed when the sun hit them at just the right angle, creating a pod of warmth around them. She never expected her story to end this way - with her married to her partner and out of the syndicate, living a normal life in a newly refurbished mansion in a newly rebuilt country. Peace between Grandville and Rouver had been achieved by paving through the misunderstanding Margot had created, and even though it cost many lives, Aria knew that each and every one of them was at peace now in a separate world where nothing could hurt them.

She may have missed her exciting, adventurous life, but she was content with the simplicity of the life she had created, knowing that this one was a choice made purely for her pleasure, not to get back at anyone or suffer the guilt of a past life. She was happy just to be happy, and content just to be content. Aria thought that she was supposed to be killing the Grandvillians her entire career; that they were the enemy. She didn't realize, though, that the peace she was feeling at the present wasn't because she had gotten rid of a physical being, but rather she had killed the enemy inside her.

When she related her revelation to Sterling, he sat pensively, staring at the vast expanse of land that sat before them. A slow, playful grin morphed on his chiseled features.

"Well, perhaps we don't have to let go of our past entirely," he mused. From his bag, he pulled out a small pistol - Margot's prided weapon.

Aria gasped. "You kept that?!"

"Of course." He turned the gun in his hands. "It's a souvenir of when my wife kicked my boss's ass. Why wouldn't I keep it?"

"Don't make me blush," Aria snorted. She took the gun and tested it in her hands, marveling at how snugly it fit. "Do you want to spar?"

"Bring it on, my love."

They jumped up together, dashing behind their home to gain a step above the other in the competition they had just created. While running after her husband, Aria thought to herself that no matter what she did or how she thought, she'd always have an assassin's blood in her; it was bound to her soul and she could never escape it.

Not that she wanted to, anyway. 

--------------

So...this is the end! Aria and Sterling's story has been completed with a nice bow :) I hope you all truly enjoyed this story, and let me know if you'd like to see an additional chapter with their children! I'm thinking of making a book of mini-stories from all my books, but what do you guys think? Would you like to see more of Aria and Sterling? 

I hope you've enjoyed it and will continue to support me. As usual, please vote, comment, and enjoy :D 

Love, Sunny ❤️