19.2 The Wedding Day

"Duly noted, Uncle." Aria gave him a quick salute and grabbed a barfi from his stash. She dashed out of the room and stumbled into the wedding area, which was covered by a white tent and a canopy of sunlight. There were fewer guests outside. The priest was still preparing the fire and the children were running around the chairs. Some of them were already eating so that their parents could eat without worrying about them. Aria decided to join them, taking a thin plate and scooping heaps of dahl, soya chutney, and poori onto her plate. She pushed them into a taco and took a bite out of the juicy, melting concoction, moaning in appreciation.

"It's good, isn't it?" A regal voice spoke from beside her.

Aria didn't flinch. She had seen the woman gracefully floating through the crowd, coldly mingling with the guests. A group of children rushed past her feet and she turned, meeting the frosty stare of her boss, Margot. She grinned, holding up the poori.

"Delicious," she agreed. "Would you like some? The buffet is over there."

"No, thank you. Dahl gives me a stomach ache," Margot said. Her glacial eyes assessed Aria as she ate. "How is our mission going?"

"Fine. I'm making quick progress with him," Aria responded, licking the juices from her fingers.

"You eat like a child." Margot sniffed, handing her a napkin. "Are you not wealthy?"

"I never listened to my tutors," she said. "There's no way to eat poori and chutney soya without making a mess." She paused. "What are you doing here, Madame?"

"Checking how the mission is progressing," Margot replied. "I hadn't heard from Sterling so I figured it'd be best to come see you." She smiled. "I'm glad I chose you for the mission. It seems that we're going to achieve our goal much quicker than we anticipated."

"I hope so." Aria finished the last of her food and put the plate next to her. She fiddled with her earrings, playing with the metal hoops. "Madame, I have something to ask of you?"

"Do you wish to gain something from this question in terms of a physical gift or advice?"

"Advice, please."

"What's the matter?"

"Edward wishes to have sex with me," Aria said. "Or in his terms, 'fuck me'. He says that it'll prove my love for him and my loyalty to the Grandville cause. I told him that I needed a few days to think about it, and he has given me a week. Quite frankly, I don't care about sexual dalliances. However, I must admit that I have some concerns about this idea. It can cement our relationship and my progress in the mission, but I utterly despise that man and have no wish to sleep with him."

Margot listened thoughtfully, and when Aria finished, her nose wrinkled. "Men are so tactless," she said at last. "They believe they can get the entire world at the snap of their fingers. What do you want to do?"

"Concerning Edward?"

"That is who we're discussing, is it not?"

"Right." Aria frowned. "Honestly, I don't know. If it furthers the mission, then naturally I would do anything, but to do something so intimate...I'm not sure if I'm ready for that, especially with him."

Margot observed the tent with a critical eye. "We are never truly ready for certain things in life, one of them being coitus between two lovers. Aria, I chose you to seduce Lord James because I knew you would do anything to make sure our country would be safe. You're the best in our workplace for a reason because you know how to separate yourself from your job, emotions included. Take this as another job. Don't dwell on how you're feeling. Bury those thoughts and keep Rover safe, because we can't risk any more orphans, now can we?"

"We can't." Aria was overcome with a gloomy memory; an image of a black church with charred bodies so disfigured that she wanted to remove her dinner from her body.. She grimaced. "So, you're saying that I should do it?"

"I'm saying that you should do whatever is best for the people. Our jobs are to eliminate threats, at the cost of our happiness. You know that."

"I do. I know." Aria put her plate back in her lap and stood with a sigh. "I'm going to do it, but I need to speak with Sterling first. There's something I want to do before doing this with Edward."

"As long as you finish this mission soon," Margot said with a nod. "I sent an agent to Grandville to assassinate a minor mayor, and he told me that Grandville is building up its arsenal. I don't know what they're planning, but it can't be good." She stood. "We have to start working quickly, Aria. I can't waste any more time."

"Understood."

Margot turned and began to leave the venue when she stopped. "Nice earrings, by the way."

"Thank you. It's a set."

"They're nice. I'm going to have to see where I can get a set like that." She smiled. "See you soon, Aria. Hopefully, the next time we meet, this assignment will be complete."

Aria nodded surely. "I promise you, Madame, it will be."

~***~

The preparations for the wedding paid off. Noah and Eloise were married in a splendid pink and red ceremony, leaving the tent as husband and wife. The reception started immediately after the wedding in the Kumar mansion, and the rain that poured over the white flaps helped set the romantic mood that the orchestra played for the guests to dance to. Chatter overlapped the music, varying from miscellaneous topics to congratulating the new couple.

Aria remained on the sidelines for much of the wedding party, unless she was needed as the older sister in a sibling ritual. She was waiting for Sterling to arrive so she could discuss her plan with him, but instead, she was approached by Edward, who had somehow found her through the depths of the crowd and laughter. She forced herself to restrain a groan.

"The music is lovely," he said, greeting her with a kiss that made Aria's food rise like slimy bile. "Did you plan this reception?"

"My aunt did." Aria grabbed a glass of champagne and rubbed the liquid over her lips as she drank. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself."

"Why wouldn't I be? You're here."

"It's not my wedding."

"Not yet, anyway." Edward gazed smugly at the crowd. "Our wedding will be ten times that of some stupid Rouverian one. Aren't you excited about it?"

"I can hardly sleep at night," she muttered. "I should probably go find Noah. Enjoy the refreshments and entertainment." She began to step away, but Edward grabbed her wrist.

"He's busy with his wife," he said huskily. "And I want to get busy with my future wife."

"I see..." Aria frantically surveyed the room for anyone that she could tolerate but found nobody. Damn it, Sterling! Where are you? "I don't think now is a good time to discuss this, Edward."

"We're going to discuss it now," Edward snapped. "I'm not waiting any longer, and you must give me your answer in this instance! Otherwise, you are not serious about us."

"It's an inappropriate time!" Aria pulled her hand away with a scowl. "Can't we discuss this when we're alone?"

-----------------

Edward's being really pushy with Aria...how close do you guys think she is to punching him haha 😅

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D