12.3 The Beginning of a Lie

"Your aunt is still the same, huh?" Edward grinned.

"Pretty much." Aria shrugged. "She doesn't change."

"I'm sure she does. It's probably little things that you don't see." Edward dragged his fingers along the arm of the couch. "This is new. Leather?"

"Padded, yeah." Aria studied his lethargic hand movements. "How's the job?"

"Fine. Training as usual." Edward smirked. "Are you going to continue with the formalities or should we just skip right to it?"

"Huh?" Aria's cheeks colored. "Skip right to what?" Why does he sound scarier than Sterling when he says that? "What are you implying?"

"Oh, come on, Aria. I know you're not stupid." Edward leaned forward like a predator, his hand outstretched and cupping over hers. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"No, I really don't." Aria resisted moving her hand, even though his touch made her feel unusually uncomfortable. No, wait, I have to work with this. "I...er...I mean..."

"You're playing coy." Edward grinned. "I like that. Little minx, eh?"

Minx? Me?! The audacity! Is this truly Edward? Aria gritted her teeth and forced a smile. "I-I guess I missed you?"

"I knew you did." Edward lifted himself from the couch and moved beside her. "I missed you too. You were all I could think about while in that dreadful prison."

"Oh..." What do I say to that? What would Sterling say? "So, er, remember how when we first met-!"

"What about that guy?" Abruptly, Edward's smile dropped and his expression darkened.

"What guy?"

"The one you were at the party with. I saw you together. He was a tall guy, maybe a Duke? White hair and blue eyes?"

Sterling! "Oh, he's just a friend."

"He didn't seem like a friend."

"Who do you think he was?" Aria couldn't hold herself from quipping back. She knew exactly what Edward was implying, but wanted to hear him say it so she could quickly reassure him. She needed to get all doubts out of his mind before she could continue her awkward seduction. Sterling would be so proud!

"I think you both are involved." Edward's eyes narrowed. "And I don't like it. I want you, Aria. I don't want you to be anyone else's."

What am I? A trophy? Aria substituted her brimming scowl with a sick smile. "I've been thinking about that too. I want to be yours as well."

"I-Really?" Edward hesitated, choking on his tongue. "Wait, but the guy?"

"He's nothing." Aria swallowed her pride and touched Edward's arm. He jolted. "Your proposal has been plaguing my mind for days. I want to try courting, Edward."

"You...you do?!" Edward's face broke out into a wide beam. "Oh, you really do! Well...er...that's amazing!" He stood in a swift motion and picked Aria up, swinging her in the air. Aria tried to keep her fake smile but felt nauseous. If he knew her, he'd know she hated being in the air.

"Yeah..." Please put me down. "Are you still interested?"

"Are you kidding?" Edward set her on her feet and knelt before her, gazing at her with the purest, most innocent face she had ever seen in her life (well, almost - probably third to Noah and Sterling). "I'd be delighted if you would allow me to court you! Gosh, this is my dream!"

"Er...mine too." Aria bit her lip. She definitely took Sterling's work for granted. Who knew seducing someone could be so difficult, not just physically, but emotionally too? Edward started to speak again, but Aria's aunt and uncle re-entered the room, silencing him.

"Apologies for the delay," Bhuv said, retreating when his wife shot him a nasty glare. "We were having problems with...the oven."

"Really? It looks like it's still working to me," Aria mentioned dryly. "Look, it's raging right in front of me."

"You watch your tongue, young lady," Tamasa growled. "Edward, I deeply apologize for my niece and husband's foolishness."

"It's all good, my lady," Edward assured her. He winked at Aria. "We got some time to catch up anyway."

"Oh, good!" Tamasa clapped her hands. "Then, is it bold of me to assume that I'll be seeing you more often in the area?"

"You can count on it." Edward tipped his cap and bowed. "I shall take my leave now, sadly. The master expects me in his quarters."

"Back to work, eh?" Tamasa put his hands on his hips. "Well, farewell, Edward. Do come to visit soon."

"Will do, my lord. My lady...Aria." Edward bowed again, his gaze lingering longingly on Aria before he departed. Lord Kumar vanished as well the moment Edward disappeared, leaving Aria alone with her aunt.

"He's a fine young boy," Tamasa murmured, distantly staring into the hallway. "And quite wealthy..."

"Auntie..."

"What? I didn't say anything!" Tamasa pouted. "I'm just pointing out how well Edward has made his life. The poor boy - blamed for something he didn't do."

"Well...yeah..." Then again, he did allow his pants to lead him away from his post. "I'm going to bed. It's been a long day and I just want to go to sleep."

"Alright. I'll wait for Noah to come home." Tamasa paused. "But Aria, think about it, okay?"

"Okay." Aria swiftly exited the room, her heart overflowing with embarrassment and her mind heated with shame. Think about it. Oh, Auntie, there's no thinking. Edward doesn't know what's coming for him. 

--------------------------

So...Tamasa and Bhuv seem to like Edward, but is that true? Or do they just want Aria to get married? Would they rather have love or stability for her?

VOTE/COMMENT/ENJOY :D