Chapter 10

As I walked around the airship, I found gon and kurapika talking by the window
"Hey guys" I said, waving as I approached them.
"Kuzuko! Kurapika and I were just talking how crazy it was that we reached the city and final phase! Can you belive it?" He said, a smile on his face "It's pretty weird, i honestly didn't expect to get this far." I said, rubbing my head.

We stared silently out the window. Until aa I'll pop out kurapika broke the silence "Gon" he said. Gon hummed in response. "Did something happen during the fourth phase?" Kurapika asked. So he noticed to too. I swear if that freak did something to gon I'll kill him

Kurapika then continued "you don't look as well as you did. I'm concerned" he said. I didn't say anything, I just crossed my arms, waiting patiently for an answer.

"My target was hisoka." He began to speak, kurapika looked at him with worry. "Although I waited for the perfect time and stole his badge, I was followed by someone else and shot by his poisen dart." He continued. My eyes widened, he was shot by a poisonous dart? Thank goodness it isn't serious. "After hisoka took his own badge back from that man, he threw it at me and said that I owe him one." He stated.

My uneasiness grew as I heard this "you owe him one?" I questioned. Gon turned to me "yeah.." he then continued on. "I said I didn't want to owe him, then he punched me in the face" we were silent for a bit before gon spoke agian "I was so mad at myslef. I blamed myself cause I couldn't do anything." He said, starting to shake.

My eyes softened at him agian. "Gon, you had said that you practiced for this, right?" I said, looking at him. He looked at me "yeah.." "so don't beat yourself up about it! You still achieved something by snatching that badge away from hisoka." I said, trying to cheer him up. He smiled at me "thanks Kuzuko!" I only smiled back, not saying anything and continued to look out the window.

"Gon, it's all thanks to you guys that I even got to the 5th and final phase" kurapika said, looking at gon and I. I smiled lightly "thank you so much" kurapika said, continuing. Gon then spoke up "I should be the one saying thank you!" Gon said, turning to look at kurapika and I.

-

Once we arrived at the exam venue, we all got off the airboat, and saw a castle like area. "Did you all rest well?" A voice said "this is the hotel run by the committee.

The chairman said 'a hotel? What are we going to do here?' I wondered.
"And for the final phase," netero said as a man pushing a board game out. As he pulled the sheet covering the board off, we all lightly gasped as it looked like only one of us could pass.

The chairman must've read our thoughts "No, you only need one win to qualify." He stated "so this is a fight. Even if you lose, you still get a chance.' I thought deeply.

"The winner will qualify, and the one who loses advances into the next round." Netero explained. "Which means, the top position here means total disqualification." He explained. "So only one person will fail the exam" a ninja dude stated.

"Yes. And here is your bracket" he stated, removing the tape covering the bottom.
I looked at the placement, I was fighting that weird orange dude with the arrows. Seems simple enough. Apparently we were all placed on how well we did during the exam. I was kinda shocked to see me before killua, I lightly laughed at it.

Killua then spoke up "I can't accept that. Can you give us a reason for our placements" he said, obviously upset that gon and I placed better.

I tuned out the whole crap about how we got tested, honestly I couldn't care. I was thinking about how I would defeat this dude. I heard the chairman say that if we killed someone the rest of us passed without consideration.

Finally the last phase was about to start. The first match was gon agianst that ninja dude. The referee explained the rules agian, but I tuned all of them out. My worry for gon growing as I knew he was a strong opponent. We all stared intently at the rink, watching the tension grow. "Begin!" He said.

Suddenly gon was hit in the back of the neck, making him fall. I gripped the cloth of my pants, uneasy with seeing the people I called my friends hurt. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed killua growing more and more annoyed. 'What's his problem?' I wondered.

As gon sat there, hanzo bullied him around, trying to get him to surrender. The whole fight was hard to watch, apart of me wished gon would just give up. "Gon! Just give up! First you have to-" leorio started yelling before kurapika cut him off "leorio! If you were gon, would you surrender?" He asked. I tensed as I realized he was right. Gon wouldn't even surrender. He'd keep going till he died. Kurapika and leorio kept bickering as we watched the fight.

We tensed each time gon got hit. It seemed like hours since the match began. "Get up" hanzo said, walking twords gon. Leorio almost lost his cool, and guards stopped him from interrupting the fight. 'I don't blame leorio, but gon surely has something planned'. We continued to watch the agonizing fight.

"I'm going to break your arm" hanzo said, making all of us tense. 'What?! That pain will surely be enough to knock him out!" I thought as I kept myself from yelling. Gons arm was now broken with many injuries lacing through him. Suddenly a huge amount of bloodlust hit me, I quickly turned twords kurapika and leorio, both of them reeking with bloodlust. Instinctively I went to the other side of killua, wanting to separate myself from those two.

Killua gave me a weird glance before sliding over, letting me take his spot instead. "Thanks" I whispered. He didn't say anything and kept looking at the ring. While Hanzo was gloating about his ninja crap, gon suddenly came up and kicked him in the face. That's right gon! Put that loser in his place!

"You don't seem to understand. If you don't surrender, I'll cut your legs off." He said, pulling out a blade. I sighed 'how would cutting his legs off help? Gon would bleed to death, making Hanzo disqualified.' Gon pretty much read my thoughts as he said the same thing. Making everyone lightly laugh, easing the tension a bit. suddenly, Hanzo took the blade and pointed it twords his head, making gon bleed a bit.

They stared at eachother before Hanzo spoke. "Why? It's such a simple thing to do?" He said
After a long wait, Hanzo finally surrendered. About time.
Gon was knocked out due to his stubbornness, Atleast he can heal a bit in a sleep.