Chapter 14: A mother's concern and a draconic dance

Kahn's pov

    I got changed into my suit back at home so I could ask my mom some questions about how going to a dance with a partner works. As I finish tightening my tie, I leave my room and head over to the living room where my mom is.

    As I enter, I see her looking at the only photo that we have of dad. I decided to stay quiet when I hear her start to talk.

Glynda: He looks a fair bit like you, you know? Not only that but he is about to go on what could be considered his first date.... I miss you so much and I understand that you did what you had to to protect us. Our son is starting to come into his own. Know you said that you don't want him to ever have to deal with your father.... but he will have to go there at some point to fully understand who he is and what he will become able to do in the near future. But.... but...

    I watch as mom begins to cry looking at the picture of dad.

Glynda: I want to be there for him every step of the way but I know that I won't be able to. Because of his heritage, his dragon blood he will far out live everyone he currently knows. I fear for him since he will have to watch as the children of his friends grow old before and then their children's children's so on and so forth. He will be forced to live a very long and lonely life and I'm only going to be a part for a very small amount of time of it. I know that he is strong but still I'm afraid for what his long life span will do to him since he was raised to be more human than dragon....

    At this point mom starts cry rather heavily. I go up to her and hug her. She is surprised at first but then quickly hugs me back crying into my shoulder. After a short while she calms down and head back to her room to redo her makeup. I look at the photo of dad. As I look I can see that we look fairly similar. The only real differences between us is that he is far more muscular than I am, his eyes are a coppery color like our scale type and he has this smile on his face that gives off the feeling that no matter what may happen everything will be okay.

Kahn: Not really sure what to say, dad, but unlike what mom said, I'll be fine. I mean come on I'm a Copperscale I highly doubt that living for several thousand years will be that bad.

    I look down to my hands after saying that. Deep breath in, deep breath out. I steady my breathing as I realize that I'm starting to get close to crying. I'm surprised that I nearly did cry I mean I never go to know him. Mom doesn't talk about him much and all I truly know about him is that his first is Alexander which is a part of my middle name in memory of him.... I look up to the ceiling and let out a sigh and then bolt up right remembering that I have to go and walk with Ruby to the dance.

Kahn: MOM IM HEADING TO GO GET RUBY ILL SEE YOU AT THE DANCE!

    I hear her shout some kind of response and I run out the front door then take off and fly to the first year dorms.

A small time skip brought to you by Kahn and his mom having a wholesome family picnic on a nice sunny day in spring

Kahn's pov

    As I'm walking to team RWBY's dorm I go over everything thing that I have making sure I haven't forgotten anything. Horns waxed? Check. Scales shined? Check. Suit and tie on nice and properly? Check. Teeth brushed? Check. Protective guards on my claws so I don't cut her feet in half? Check. A gift for Ruby? Che- no wait. I start patting down the pockets in my suit and begin to feel a growing sense of panic until I find what I'm looking for, making me sigh in relief. Good, I didn't forget my gift for her.

    I go up to the dorm door. Deep breath in, deep breath out. I've got this. I knock on the door and don't get an immediate response. After waiting for a minute or two I knock again but harder this time. I hear something crash and fall and what sounds like Ruby complaining about heels I think? I hear her rush to the door while bumping into things. As the door opens I get a good look at Ruby.... I feel my heart stop for a second. She looks amazing.... while at the same time still as cute as ever. I feel this ache in my chest that I've never really felt before. I can feel my face heat up as I look at her and I notice that her face might just be as red as mine.