Chapter 33: Unexpected discovery, a hidden war

Kahn's pov

    I had been making good time on traversing the massive desert of Menagerie. I've been using my semblance to launch myself into the air, which caused a byproduct of turning the sand that I blasted with my lightning into glass. I would come flying down and then use my magic to fire a smaller lightning bolt to lessen the speed I'm coming down at. I switch between using my semblance and magic to conserve my strength in case I run into any trouble.

    I've been doing this for the past three days. I had come to a stop to get some water to drink. I was at a rather flat part of the desert, so I decided to  charge some lightning to create something similar to a glass bowl in the sand. As I fire out a bolt, it hits some kind of invisible dome and richocheys right off it. It turns black when it does and on instinct I done out of the way because something feels wrong about it. I watched it hit the sand where I was standing and see a black pool form. I watch in a mixture of curiosity and confusion as I see something start to climb out of the black pool. A beowolf starts to come out of it. Oh, OH SHIT!

    I don't waist any time and curb stomp its head. As soon as the grimm is dead, I waste no time and just start blasting the black pool with as much lightning as I can nit caring if I use up all my aura and magic in the process. As soon as I ran out of both, I looked to see if I had destroyed the grimm pool. It was still there, but it was now surrounded by molten glass. This is bad. I turn back to where the invisible dome should be. I walk up to it and poke it only for my finger to get stuck in it and then for it to get pulled in. I try to pull my finger out, but I can't no matter how hard I try. Before I know it, I get pulled entirely into the dome.

    I stumble as soon as I'm all the way through. I look around to see stone and wood buildings, some of them are in ruins. Not only that, but they look like they were made in the medieval ages. I look up and see that the sky is a weird grey color with no clouds. I look behind me and try to exit out of the dome but find that I'm stuck in here. We'll then look like I have no way back at the moment.

    I make my way through the ruins of this village when I hear something in the distance. I make my way towards it and see that I'm on a cliff side that leads down to a valley with a number of roads and in the distance that lead down into it. I peer down into the valley to see a large number of wolf faunus mixed with a few beast mages fighting a large horde of grimm. The wolf faunus are wear armor straight out of the medieval ages, the ones at the front are wielding a variety of weapons, clawed gauntlets, dual axes, halberds and some even use a sword and shield. The ones in the back have bows and arrows, and a few of the beast mages have staves with orbs on them that look like they are made out of dust. I also noticed that some of the grimm are different than anything I've seen before. There are giant turtle grimm that bite into the ground and blast out molten rock from their mouths. A monkey looking grimm that wield makeshift spears that are riding some sort of horse grimm. There are a few that look like beringals but are smaller, have four arms, and are just rapidly throwing rocks at the wolf faunus. The last one that stands out the most is a humanoid looking grimm that looks about twelve feet tall, has a sword and shield made of a mixture of bone and some kind of metal, armor made of bone with metal in some spots as well and last but not least has a cape that looks like it was made of skin that was taken off of dead bodies.

    Looking at the humanoid grimm, I can tell that it is the leader. I try to look for a nearby way to get down into the valley to help what I can now only assume to be the wolf clan only to not see one. I close my eyes and focus to figure out how much aura and magic I have left. Not a lot, but it should be enough to unleash a massive breath attack that can change the tide of battle to be in favor of the wolf clan. So I back up a bit  and then run up to the edge and use half of my remaining aura to launch myself towards the horde of grimm. I begin to charge up all of my remaining magic for a breath attack. I feel a lightning bolt hit me and look to see that one of the beast mages in the back had spotted me. It's good to know that a Copperscale gets powered up from lightning. I look back at the grimm horde and see that their leader is looking right at me. I get into range and unleash a bossted breath attack watch as over half of the grimm horde get destroyed by the literal thunder storm I had fired at them from my mouth.

    Thanks to that attack, it had slowed my descent enough for me not to get hurt when I landed. The remaining grimm get ready to charge at me when I hear a disturbing voice speak up, its voice booming loudly, deep in tone gravely in nature.

????? ????: RETREAT! WE SHALL RETURN TO FINISH THIS FIGHT LATER YOU SILVER EYED MUTTS!

    The fact that the grimm could talk surprised me. While I desperately want to go fight that massive towering humanoid grimm, I also want to make sure that the wolf clan is all right. My common sense wins, and I turn and head towards the wolf clan. I notice the one at the front comes towards me. He is about the same height as me, but the most noticeable thing was that his head was like that of a wolf, he had a wolf tail, and his arms were furry with clawed hands. He wore leather armor like pants, boots and chest peice that has metal pauldrens. Be weirded a halberds that had an axe head on one side with a hammer head on the other, and on the tip of the weapon was a spearhead.

?????: Hail good Copperscale. Thank you for coming to our aid. Without you, we most likely have lost this skirmish against that foul creation of Salem's that keeps us trapped here.

Kahn: No problem.

Lupis: I am called Lupis, the general of lord Silverscale's army.

Kahn: I am Kahn.

Lupis: Thank you again, Lord Kahn, for your help. Please follow us back to our keep.

    I nod to him and we set out towards this keep he mentioned. Just what in the name of Oum is going on here?

Timeskip brought to you by Kahn trying to understand what Salem has to do with all this

Kahn's pov

    It took us a few hours, but we began to approach some massive stone walls that have catapults and trebuchets on them. I can also see that at certain spots of the walls are tall towers with multiple open spots that have lightly armored people wielding bows.

Guard: Lower the draw bridge and open the gate! General Lupis has returned!

    I watch as a large drawbridge comes down, which leads me to see a large empty moat filled with wooden spikes. This is really starting to make me think that I've been sent back in time. As we cross the drawbridge and pass through where the gate was I see roads made of stone and buildings made of wood with stone brick chimneys. On the side of the road that we are marching on, I see people dressed in clothes that wouldn't be worn nowadays. The looks on their faces as they see the soldiers is relief that then turns into open joy and hope when they see me.

Peasant 1: A Copperscale. If a Copperscale is here, that means that Lord Copperscale is here with the tiger clan! Praise be to the dragons aid has finally come!

    I feel awkward as I hear people begin to cheer in joy seeing me. Some of them openly crying. I wave to some of them, and a few even throw flowers or some odd looking metal coins at me. I catch a few and see that on one side is the head of a dragon, while on the other is what looks to be a castle. As I look around I watch as some of the soldiers break off from the marching army and go up to what looks to be their family, hugging them and also crying tears of joy probably because they survived and were able to safely return.

    It takes about another hour before we reach the center of this massive medieval city and we reach another set of walls, but this one is made of metal with silver accents along it. The gate opens and only me and Lupis go through before it closes. I look and see soldiers training in some areas while in others, there are people sharpening weapons, fletching arrows, or beast mages treating injured soldiers.

Lupis: Come, Lord Kahn, follow me into the castle.

    I nod and follow him into the castle. As we enter, I see people wearing the outfits of ancient scholars, robes with staves that have orbs of dust on them, or heavy metal armor with silver accents on them. We walk past what looks to be a war room with a large map of what looks like Menagerie, but far more green. We then enter a absolutley gigantic open room and I see laying on the ground surrounded by beast mages, a heavily injured giant Silverscale dragon. I watch as he looks up at us with one silver eye and speaks.

Silverscale: You are not my younger brother Copperscale. Yet you are a Copperscale. Who are you?

Author's note

How is that for a reveal? Man, this was a real fun chapter for me to write mostly because the ideas for it just kept on coming.