eight.

The room fell silent as the man's hand landed abruptly on the tabletop, "What do you mean she escaped?!"

The four women lowered their heads as they stood in front of their boss, cowering from facing the man's anger. All of them didn't dare to speak, until Karina built up the courage, "Sir-"

"No." Yongsun's hand tensed into a tight ball, veins strained against the skin, filled with intense anger.

"It was a simple task, ladies." He said in a calm tone, nursing a glass of cognac between lips. "Yet, it seems that none of you are capable of doing it."

"Sir." The leader repeated with a tremble in her voice, "With all due respect, you don't know how dangerous Shin Ryujin is."

"That's precisely why you all need to exterminate her. Immediately." The boss sternly emphasised the last word before finishing off his drink.

Karina took a step forward, "I've seen what Ryujin is capable of; I know her tricks and strategies. All I- I mean we need is more time."

Yongsun placed his glass on the leather coaster on the table, "How long?"

"I don't know how long, but we will catch her. And when we will, her head will be on a silver platter."

-

-

-

Medical textbooks and empty shot glasses were left strayed on the dining table with a faint smell of alcohol lingering in the air. A cup of dark coffee rested in her hands, the only source of warmth in the cold morning. She leaned on the railing with the sounds of her inhales and exhales mingling with the morning hustle from the streets below creating a serene atmosphere.

Memories of the previous night floated in her mind; filled with laughter, drinking and Yeji. She couldn't remember what conversations were recalled or the jokes that were told, but all she saw was the woman sitting beside her.

The whole night, her eyes laid on the beautiful woman, mentally taking notes of how her teeth peeked out through her lips when she smiled, the addictive laughter she let out when one of the other girls cracked a joke but mostly importantly, the way Yeji would look at her with sparkles in her eyes.

A cold-hearted killer who melted under an angel's gaze.

Lost in her thoughts, Ryujin took a long drag from her cigarette, the tendrils of smoke swirled above her, dissipating into the sky. The sound of the door behind her sent goosebumps along her body, as if her senses knew who it was.

"Got a light?" The familiar voice called out behind her.

Ryujin opened her pack of cigarettes and handed her the lighter. Yeji lit the flame and brought it to the stick between her lips. As Ryujin watched Yeji light her own cigarette, she noticed her tousled hair cascading down her shoulders and a subtle glow on her cheeks.

"You never told me who gave you this lighter." Yeji mumbled, now able to fully admire the elegance of the metal object in her hands.

"My mother." Ryujin said while looking out at the view, smoke escaping from her mouth.

"Huh... She condones you smoking?"

"I started smoking when she died."

Yeji hung her head low, "Sorry."

No further words were exchanged, they dwelled in the comfortable silence that surrounded them. They stood side by side, watching the cars below pass by, showing how insignificant they were in the big world.