thirty nine.

As Yeji walked out of the hospital, the midday sun cast long shadows across the sidewalk. She pulled out her phone, fingers trembling with anxiety, and dialled her girlfriend's number. The call rang once, twice, but there was no answer.

Unbeknownst to Yeji, in the dimly lit warehouse, Ryujin was in the midst of an intense boxing session. Her focus was entirely on the heavy bag in front of her, the rhythmic thud of her punches echoing in her ears. She had set her phone on silent to avoid distraction, fully immersing herself in training herself.

With each punch, beads of sweat trickled down her forehead as she visualised different scenarios, each one a potential lead to finding Giselle and the group. Her mind was a whirlwind of strategies, clues and avenues of investigation.

In her mental simulations, she saw herself coming up with ways to make Giselle truly suffer. She knew that she wanted to prolong her pain, the torture as excruciatingly long as possible. There would be no mercy, no forgiveness for the vile person who killed her best friend.

The thuds of her fist echoed through the warehouse, thinking back to all the connections Giselle had. Through her previous research on the Japanese, she couldn't find any links between her and anyone outside of the group.

However, she realised that she hadn't gone through old security footage archives related to her. As she flew one final jab at the bag, she turned and wiped the sweat off her brows as she made her way to the weaponsmith.

Chan was focused on refining the modified silencer for a gun he designed, when all of a sudden, a pair of hands slammed onto the bench.

"Do you have a computer?"

Startled by the loud noise, he shrieked, dropping the metal onto the workstation.

"What happened to 'Hi, Hello?!'" He breathed out with his hand on his chest. "And yes, I do."

Ryujin rolled her eyes, "Hi, Hello, can I use your computer?"

"Please?"

"Whatever."

After wiping his hands on a used rag, he got up from the bench and walked over to the next room and started up his computer.

"What are you doing with it?"

"Going to look through some old footages of Giselle's antics, hopefully, we can find something or someone that is connected with her." The hitman replied, eyeing the loading screen that was taking too long to start up.

"Wouldn't the police have the footage of her crimes already?" Chan asked, rubbing his chin with forefinger and thumb.

"If Giselle is smart enough, she would've had someone delete the footage. But not everything can be permanently removed." Ryujin answered, immediately taking a seat in from of the computer the moment the desktop appeared. "Even if Ningning was able to successfully delete any evidence, there are security cameras everywhere so if I can view footage from different locations. Maybe there's something I could use to find her."

(A/N: i don't know much about computer stuff, pretend all this is right.)

The weaponsmith pretended to comprehend everything the hitman said as he hummed in agreement.

"So, you're going to go through Giselle's old contracts and view some footages from that scene?"

"Yes."

"Well." He threw himself onto the sofa beside him and propped his feet up on the coffee table, rubbing his tired face. "Let me know when you find something."

Ryujin's fingers danced across the keyboard as she delved deeper into the digital abyss of the dark web, hunting for any security footage that had been overlooked.