forty four.

Back at home, Ryujin's thoughts drifted to the photographs they had taken earlier in the day, her face lighting up with a fond smile as she recalled their laughter and the genuine smiles they shared. She walked over to the shelf, giggling at the framed photos and the snow globe that they had bought in Sydney. Her heart did backflips, excited for her girlfriend to come back home.

An hour had passed and Yeji had yet to come home. A sense of unease began to settle in, it doesn't take that long to come home from the bank. Pushing her nervousness aside, she decided to turn on the TV to pass the time.

Oh fuck.

The breaking news reported a hostage situation at the Bank of Korea, and the scenes of police cars and SWAT teams surrounding the building sent shivers down her spine. Her mind raced, and a gnawing feeling of dread intensified.

Swiftly, she dialled Yeji's number, her fingers tapping nervously on the phone's screen. She raised the phone to her ear, hoping to hear her girlfriend's voice on the other side.

"C'mon Yeji, pick up." She mumbled, slightly pulling at her hair.

Her call went unanswered, so she dialled again.

Yeji, please pick up.

"Yeji, where are you?" Ryujin asked frantically the moment the call was accepted.

"Ryujin~ It's been a while."

Ryujin's heart raced as she heard Karina's voice on the other end of the line, a sinking feeling gnawing at her gut.

"Karina..." Her voice was laced with deep hatred. "If you lay a fucking finger on her, I'll-"

"You'll what? Kill me?"

"Just like I did with Giselle." Ryujin said coldly through her teeth.

"Careful with what you say, darling. I have Yeji right here." Karina said sternly before chuckling through the call. "You want to say hi, Yeji?"

Heavy, laboured breaths were heard, causing the former hitman's heart to stop.

"Ryujin..."

"Yeji! Are you okay?"

Her jaw clenched as she heard Yeji's violent coughing on the other line.

Karina sighed through the phone, "She doesn't look so hot. Catch you later."

Without any further hesitation, she knew what she had to do. Ryujin grabbed her jacket, her thoughts racing as she prepared herself to face the past again.

-

-

-

The hitman's heart pounded as she weaved through the bustling city traffic, her mind was a cesspool of worry and anger as she came up with all the hellish ways to eliminate Karina once and for all.

The minutes felt like hours as she approached the bank. The area was taped off and guarded by countless police officers and riot squads, signalling civilians to take a detour. The hitman parked her motorcycle in an alley nearby before slipping into the shadows, using her skills to move unnoticed towards the bank.

Undoubtedly, the bank was highly secured with barely any entrance points that she could use to her advantage. Once she reached the bank's vicinity, she began assessing her options.

There is no time.

Ryujin's heart was pounding like a drum as she approached the bank. She couldn't afford to waste any more time. With her gun drawn and her senses on high alert, she walked past the police tape, the cold steel of her weapon a reassuring weight in her hand.