twenty eight.

The cool breeze rustled through the trees, carrying a faint scent of blooming flowers. Ryujin, Yeji and Yuna sat on the bonnet of the photographer's car, their feet dangling off the edge as they waited for the med students to complete their final exam.

Leaning back on her palms, her gaze fixed on the cat-eyed woman, watching the gentle glow of the street lights highlight her features perfectly as Yeji exhaled a cloud of smoke.

"I can't believe that they are taking their finals." Yuna chuckled, her fingers absentmindedly tracing patterns on the car's surface. "They are really going to become doctors."

Yeji nodded in agreement, resting her back on the windscreen, "I swear, the other day, Lia was studying so hard that she had a nosebleed."

The trio laughed softly, reminiscing over the late-night study sessions at Ryujin and Chaeryeong's apartment- the bottomless cups of coffee, the groans of frustrations while cramming years of information in one night, the droopy eyes as they tried to stay awake. Ryujin couldn't help but envy them, their hard work and dedication to help people.

"Ryu." Yeji called out softly, looking over at her girlfriend with a gentle smile. "If you weren't a hitman, what would you be?"

Yeji's question hung in the air, causing Ryujin to momentarily pause and deeply think about her answer. She never thought about the 'what ifs', contract killings were the only field she knew.

"I honestly don't know." She answered after a moment, taking a puff of the cigarette. "I mean, it's hard for me to imagine doing anything else."

The photographer's eyes were soft with understanding, "But let's say, in an alternate universe where you never got involved with... killing people... What would you have done?"

The hitman let out a contemplative sigh, tapping her cigarette and watching the ashes fall from the tip of the stick, "Well, if the Ryujin in the other universe had compassion and empathy... Maybe something to do with crime."

"You'd still be a criminal?"

Ryujin chuckled, "No, maybe a detective."

Yuna leaned forward to face her sister, "Detective Shin Ryujin?!"

"Rolls off the tongue doesn't it?" Yeji giggled with the cigarette in between her lips, "Detective Shin... It suits you."

"In another lifetime, my love." The hitman smirked as she placed her hand behind her head, looking up to the dark sky. "I hope you'll be there too."

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment, imagining the different paths that they might have taken if circumstances had been different.

"They're coming out!" Yuna pointed out to the doors opening in front of them. They all sat back up, waiting with anticipation for their friends to make their appearance.

Some students wore successful grins on their faces as others were filled with solemn, leaving the women worried about their friend's reactions. As the last of the students trickled out of the building, Lia and Chaeryeong walked out hand in hand, sending their farewells to another student.

The hitman's gut feeling arose within her, watching her friends waving at that student. Who is that?

The pair of med students approached the car, their expressions a mix of relief and exhaustion as they finally wrapped up their exams.

"It's fucking over!" Lia yelled out with her arms in the air.

Yuna greeted them with a cheerful smile, "Congrats guys!"

Chaeryeong let out a tired laugh, running her hand through her blue hair, "Thanks Shinnayu!"

"You guys were waiting here the whole time?" The blonde's eyes brightened as she glanced at the group sitting on the car's bonnet.