forty three.

The passage of time had brought about a profound change in their lives. Straight after graduation, Yeji received an internship at a prestigious photography studio that specialised in pictorials for Korean celebrities as well as A-list stars from the Western world. Her days were filled with the artistry of capturing her subjects' distinct features, freezing emotions in time and telling stories through her camera lenses.

At home, Ryujin found herself at a crossroads, uncertain of her path. She spent her days contemplating what she wanted to do with her life now that her hitman days were behind her. Her restless spirit longed for a purpose, an outlet for her energy and skills.

Each day, she would sit on the balcony, watching the world outside, searching for a sign, a spark of inspiration that would guide her toward a new beginning.

Cleaning the apartment and fixing cracks in the walls became Ryujin's way of coping with her restlessness. With each crevice she filled and every surface she scrubbed, she left her feeling the urge to crawl back into her old life.

Yeji's frustrations were evident as she walked through the door, her shoulders tense and her brows furrowed. The former hitman set her tools down and patted the kitten beside her before making her way to her exasperated girlfriend.

"Bad day?"

The photographer sighed heavily, running a hand through her hair. "My boss keeps limiting my creative input. It's like they don't trust me to bring my ideas to the table."

Ryujin reached out and gently wrapped her arms around her girlfriend, "Sounds like an asshole... Do you want me to kil-"

"Nope. I need to keep my job thank you." Yeji chuckled dryly before burying her face into her favourite spot on her neck.

They stayed standing for a moment, enjoying each other's embrace until Ryujin spoke up. "Why don't you take your own pictorials? Proof to him that your ideas are way better than his."

Yeji lifted her head for a moment, "You know, Ryujin? That's not a bad idea." She said, a glimmer of hope returning to her eyes. "And the studio happens to be free tomorrow."

Ryujin smiled, proud to see her girlfriend's determination. "Great. Do it."

"But you need to come with me."

"Wait, why?"

"You'll be my subject."

-

-

-

Yeji had already left for work the next day, leaving behind a small handwritten message beside a plate of leftover pasta they had made for dinner the previous night. As Ryujin reheated the dish, she chuckled at her girlfriend's explanation for her disappearance.

[Hey, ODB!! Can't wait to take photos of you later. I need to run over to the studio before anyone else takes it. THAT STUDIO IS OURS!! Love you, your Yej <3]

After she washed up her plate, she walked over to her bedroom and got dressed. Ryujin stood in front of the mirror, the dim lighting in her room creating a soft glow around her. She wore a comfortable and stylish outfit for the day a snug, charcoal grey hoodie beneath a sleek black overcoat that ended just before her knees. The hoodie's hood was pushed back, revealing her tousled hair.

As she fixed her hair, she stared at her reflection in the mirror, she didn't recognise the person staring back at her; no longer was she the infamous hitman who had taken countless lives, the sociopath that everyone had feared.

She was just... Ryujin.

Beneath the scars and the seemingly impenetrable shell that she made, she was a newfound version of herself that she loved.