4-C: Career Planning (Oni 5)

Oni 5:

From what I have gathered, one year in this world is 401 days.

It also uses a 24 hours per day system, so no adjustment needed there.

But there are only 10 months, each with 40 days.

That extra day is the last day of each year, it is not part of any months and is used to celebrate the end of one year and the beginning of the next.

I am so used to having to remember which month has 30 or 31 days from my past life that this is gonna take some time to get used to.

Anyway, I am bringing this up because I will be heading out to level up and evolve once I am four years old.

From a Human perspective, becoming an adult at four years old seems absurd.

But considering Goblins only live for ten years before Evolution, it's actually more like 40 years in Human years.

Pretty late, and yet it just doesn't feel like enough time for me.

Probably because I was a former Human that I feel this way, but I really don't want to go out and risk my life everyday.

That may sound rich coming from me, but it's not like I had to fear death when I fought with bullies in my past life.

This is all new to me, far from my normal.

It's not a problem for my fellow Goblins, as they have no normal to base anything on prior to this life.

Risking one's life for the survival of the community is expected, and no one bats an eye at the fact.

I can't help but feel out of place when it comes to that, kind as they are to me, I just can't be the same as them even if I want to.

Still, there is no avoiding the reality I must now live in, so I better focus on my future instead.

Training to fight is one thing, which I honestly have no real trouble with.

As for actually going out to fight Monsters, well, I just hope I will manage when the time comes.

And then there is what I will evolve into.

Goblins have three options when evolving, Goblin Fighter, Goblin Ranger and Goblin Shaman.

Fighters specialise in close quarter combat, having strength and bulk to help with that.

Rangers specialise in using various tools to support others, having speed and dexterous fingers to do so.

And Shamans specialise in the use of Magic, having the appropriate Stats to go with it.

Fighter is the most popular, but mostly because the other two aren't popular.

Most Goblins just don't have the aptitude for Magic, so it is hard to find someone who can actually handle the task of being a Shaman.

And Ranger have a similar problem, on top of the fact that they don't have the SP to last long when out hunting.

In fact, the second Evolution for Goblin Ranger is dedicated to the domestic affairs of the village.

Speaking of, the second Evolution at LV10 again is when we become Hobgoblins, no longer having to worry about our lifespan for a good while.

Personally, I think I want to go with Ranger.

I wouldn't consider it inferior to the others, just that it is much harder to understand and use, thus unpopular with the young Goblins, who don't get the chance to study at all here.

Besides training, Goblins don't have the free time to play, as soon as they can help, they will be put to work helping to run the village.

Mostly field work, with those man-eating plants I mentioned before.

Yeah, I don't really like this part of my daily routine.

But, this is where my Human intelligence comes into use, as I am able to much more accurately figure out when it is safe to harvest those crops and save many of my fellow Goblins from death.

This is partially the reason I want to go with Ranger, as I have exactly the thing needed to excel at it.

The other reason is that if I have to pick between fighting and housework, I prefer the latter.

I never enjoyed fighting in the first place, it is only a situational necessity.

And I am already used to housework helping my mum with chores in my last life.

I was worried that I would be looked down on for choosing to stay out of combat in the long run when so many others are going to be Fighters for life.

But the Hobgoblins reassure me that having a home to return to is just as important, and that those who stay behind to maintain it are no lesser than those who go out to gather resources for it.

The real concern is actually the fact that Rangers just aren't as good at fighting as the other two options.

And considering how many Goblins die before making it to adulthood, we need every advantage we can get to maximise our rate of survival.

So me choosing to go with Ranger is basically the same as picking the highest difficulty available.

This is why I said that four years doesn't feel like enough, even when I am training super hard everyday.

I just don't know if I can be prepared in time for the trials ahead.

Fortunately, I seem to be progressing a lot faster than my fellow Goblins, having acquired the basic Stat Boosting Skills for all of my physical Stats.

Though, I wouldn't say that I am training any much harder than anyone else, so I am probably just lucky I have the aptitude for those Skills.

Heh, all this planning reminds me of when my parents in my old life asked me what I want to do in the future.

I didn't know at the time, and they told me it was fine for the time being, but I would eventually have to deal with it so it's better to start thinking early.

And that I did, and my answer was honestly kind of lazy.

I was planning to follow in the footsteps of my father, to become a factory worker.

I felt a little ashamed of it, since my father and grandfather were the owners of a factory themselves before losing it.

So to settle for less seems disrespectful of their efforts.

But I am just not a business-minded individual, I know I can't manage it like they did.

And luckily, my father didn't mind that.

What's important is that I can make a living, to survive.

And once that problem is dealt with, I can focus on living a happy life.

And who knows, maybe I would have become the owner of a factory myself one day once I have learnt enough from working in that environment.

But that life is closed to me, having reincarnated into a different world altogether.

...I hope my parents are doing okay with me gone.