5-C: Unexpected Curveball (Pope 3)

Pope 3:

"So, the spies disguised as bandits were all killed?"

Assistant: "Yes sir, by the Nightmare it seems."

"What about our other agents?"

Assistant: "They are fine, as it appears that the Nightmare's targets are bandits and bandits only."

"I see."

So it is possible that the Nightmare isn't targeting us.

Still, it remains a major factor in our plans to destroy the Goddess Faith for good to further grow our influence across the world.

And honestly, everything surrounding the Nightmare is baffling me.

It was first discovered a while ago in the Great Elroe Labyrinth by an expedition from the Renxandt Empire, but it is possible it has been spotted earlier by an Adventurer named Jeskan.

Then it had reportedly saved a group of Adventurers in the labyrinth.

Only to then kill almost everyone in another expedition from the empire to subjugate it.

Though to be fair, they did burn its nest and wanted to enslave it.

Then it soon left the labyrinth, destroying the entrance fort in Ohts, which led to a whole bunch of complications there.

Soon after, the Queen Taratect emerged from the labyrinth too, causing a lot of destruction to the region, Everbloom Woods, before returning to the depths.

And Ariel was spotted around there for a while as well, who seemed to be in a hurry looking for something.

Since it is a spider Monster, it is most definitely acting under the orders of Ariel, except, I just can't figure out what was going on there.

And now, the Nightmare has saved the Kerens twice, taken up residence near Keren County, and wiped out all nearby bandits.

Is Ariel aware of our plans?

Is she warning us not to make a move on Sariella?

And that Earth Wyrm, now Earth Dragon accompanying the Nightmare, is Lord Black Dragon in on this too?

Why now? Ariel had been avoiding getting involved with any worldly going-ons for many centuries now.

The sudden loss of a massive amount of energy in the System?

So, many, questions.

Assistant: "Sir?"

"Ah sorry, lost in thought, go on."

Assistant: "We have reports coming in from all over the world that the Elves have ramped up their human trafficking, mainly targeting children."

"Hm..."

Potimas' human trafficking has always been an issue we have been fighting.

But with our efforts focused on Keren County, weaving discourse between Ohts and them to eventually start a war.

We are in no position to deal with this increase in human trafficking right now.

Employing bandits and criminals to do his work, he has always managed to avoid leaving evidence tracing back to the Elves, making it difficult for us to expose them.

Not that it would be a good idea, we have no idea what firepower he has, engaging his force in all out war is too risky of an undertaking.

But why? Is there something new he is after?

Assistant: "In particular, Elves has been spotted near Keren County, and has made two attempts to attack the Kerens."

"Really?"

Assistant: "Yes really."

What are they after? The lord's daughter?

Actually, I just remembered the three strange children that were born around the same time.

Are there more? And is Potimas after them?

And Ariel too maybe? Is that why she sent the Nightmare to Keren County?

The lord's daughter is the objective they are fighting around perhaps?

Well then...

"Continue on with our operations there, keep an eye on the Elves and the Nightmare.

And gather the Adventurers that have encountered the Nightmare before and send them there to see how the Nightmare reacts."

Assistant: "Yes sir."

And with that, my assistant leaves to give the orders.

I can imagine the Elves laying in wait for an opportunity to act.

But I am not sure of Ariel's intention, the Nightmare can easily take the child away but it hasn't.

I need more information, both on the Nightmare and these children, and perhaps use them to my advantage.

Either way, it looks like all sides are focusing on Keren County at the moment.