Chapter Eighteen

Ally hadn't realized her cousin had terrible taste in music. Abysmal to say the least.

Since it was early, only two people were in the bar. That's right, Alexander and hers truly.

And so, he thought he had free reign to play his terrible music. Ally's ears were about to pop out any second. And it would be merciful.

"No wonder no one comes here at this hour. You scare them away with this music," She moaned. "I don't remember you being this deaf when we were kids."

Alex shot her an unimpressed look and narrowed his eyes. "I've always liked this music. Now I don't let you bully me into playing Hannah Montana. That's the difference."

Ally's lips twitched but they didn't reach her eye. "I was paying the universe a service. Save them from this tragedy. I bet this is your alarm and that's why you're in a foul mood all day."

Alex didn't deign to deny it.

Ally exhaled and resumed her studies since it was clear her cousin wasn't in the mood to discuss his poor taste in music.

Though she had been avoiding the café—more like avoiding Federico—she hadn't made much progress in her workload. You'd think she would finish all within a day from lack of distraction, but Ally had found a more distracting thing—Alex's music.

She couldn't help but stop her mid-studying session to focus on the lyrics and frown at everything that was wrong, which was the entirety of the song. No salvage pieces.

Ally hoped Federico didn't compose and play this kind of music.

Or maybe she should hope he did and find a reason to dislike him. Or like him even less.

She should also stop thinking about Federico, but it was harder than expected.

After her sister's revelation—however, you could call it because Nina exposed next to nothing—Ally decided it was better to sever connections with Federico. Nina was more important and if Ally had to pick sides, it was going to be Nina's. Since she wasn't going to dislike Federico if they spent more time together, it was plan B and seeing each other never again.

Her shoulders tensed again, and her hands twitched again. She was itchy to grab her phone and check if he had messaged her.

Ignoring his presence turned harder than thought. Whenever her phone vibrated, she forced herself to ignore it.

Alex stood in front of her on the other side of the bar and slid a cup of black, miracle drink.

Ally's itching hand thanked the distraction and took the cup. It wasn't very hot as she lifted it. And when she tasted it, she gagged.

"God, what is this?" she spit a bit back in the cup.

Alex squinted his eyes at her. "Coffee."

"You sure this isn't black water? I'm sure my taste buds died," She wondered with a frown. It was awful. Here she thought no one could make a worse coffee than Federico. Her cousin had just taken the first spot.

He crossed his arm. "Yes. And if you want a better one then go to another place. This is a bar, not a café. We don't serve coffee here."

"Hmm. That might explain it, it must be expired."

He growled and muttered something under his breath. "Why are you here?"

"Because, unlike you, I'm not afraid to confess and say that I'm hanging out with my favorite cousin," She curled her lips into a cheeky smile yet didn't feel it. She hadn't been able to be excited about annoying Alexander until he gave in and smiled, her mood was a bit somber these past few days.