Chapter Thirty-Six

"Well, look who showed up from the land of the dead." Penny's chirpy voice announced once Ally picked up the call.

Ally smiled. "What are you even talking about?"

"You've been neglecting me for these past few weeks. What, you think you can come to visit me and then don't have to call me for the rest of the year?"

Ally shook her head as she laughed. "Sorry about that. I've been distracted." By a certain tall guy with green eyes who was completely off-limits. "But you can't complain. I haven't heard from you either."

"I've been distracted too." Penny sounded excited.

"With what?"

"With whom," Penny answered with a thrilled tone. The fact that she hadn't pushed Ally to talk first meant her mind was elsewhere.

"Do tell."

"That's why I'm calling. Since my best friend forgot how to use a phone." She sniffed from the other side of the line. As annoyed as she was, she was more thrilled to gush. "I met someone."

"Penny!"

"And he is amazing."

"He better be. No one lesser deserves my best friend."

"Thank you!" Penny laughed. "I would have called you sooner and told you all about him. But I've just been distracted. And he's so distracting, Ally! Like, I can't stop thinking about him."

Ally laughed.

"I'm serious. I would be worried if I wasn't this happy and couldn't care less."

"That's great to hear." Ally meant it. Penny sounded electrified. Like a ball of energy was bursting from the center of her body. "Tell me about him."

"I don't know where to start. I think of something about him and then I'm thinking of another thing. I can't stop thinking of everything about him." She was rushing over her words, it was hard to pick up what she was saying. "I want to tell you everything about him, but there's so much."

"You really like him."

"I love him, Ally."

"Wow." Ally was surprised by the statement. The last time she'd spoken with Penny, Penny was swooning over Alexander. Which no. Just no. "The end of an era. No more Alexander. Finally."

"I don't think your cousin could make me this happy, that sexy, grumpy ass."

"Penny!"

"What? My heart is called for, but I'm not blind."

Ugh. "Okay, let's better talk about the holder of your heart. Please."

"Gladly," Penny replied. "Get into a comfortable position because this is going to take the best of the entire afternoon at least."

Ally laughed. "I bet. I'm getting ready to hear you ramble about whatever mole he has. Or hair in his ear."

"Trust me, any hair in his ear is adorable and I'm very much in love with it too."

"Jesus."

Penny laughed. "But being honest, he is really talented with his hands—"

"Okay, Penny? I don't need all the details. I was kidding. I mean, if you really want to talk about it, inform me so I can ignore you."

Penny laughed. "Get your head out of the gutter. His hands have more appliances than that one."

"I'm sure."

"Really. I met him at the farm."

"Where we milked cows?"

"That place."