Chapter Thirty-Seven

His door was already open. His tall frame could be seen from the hallway as she rushed toward him. Her heart halted at the realization that he was restless as he waited for her. He didn't want to waste a single moment when she arrived to open the door. He needed to see her and reach her once she stepped into his hallway.

It was like he couldn't summon her fast enough.

When his dark green eyes landed on her like a laser, his body squared and jumped toward her, meeting her in the middle of the hallway.

His large arms instantly wrapped around her like tight bands. They were unshakable. The world could be ending, and Federico wasn't letting her go.

The feeling of being surrounded by him? It soothed her. She felt so safe in his arms. She loved being in his arms, engulfed by his woodsy cologne and the strength of his body.

She loved being with him.

The urge to cry hard at how unjust life was crippled her bones. She wanted him so badly and couldn't have him. There was nothing that she longed for more than to be able to be his, to kiss him, to touch him, to taste him, to make love to him. To fall asleep every single night in his arms and feel like nothing could touch her. To hear his laughter whenever she said something silly that he adored, and to laugh at his terrible jokes and self-deprecation.

Being in love with Federico was driving her to the edge every day.

As she buried her face against his chest, she closed her eyes and allowed the tears to fall free. With his strong arms around her, melding her to his chest; he protected her. It didn't matter it had already hurt her; he wasn't letting more pain get through her.

He didn't question what was wrong with her. He only tightened his grip and consoled her, whispering sweet words against her ear: I'm here. He didn't push or demand. He simply was there for her, whenever she needed him. On the plane, at the café. Right now.

It was shocking how well he could read her since he knew what to do to calm her down.

Allegra dug her nails into his shoulders, feeling their strength, and savored the feel of him against her for brief seconds before she needed to let go.

His breathing brushed her neck as he buried his head against her nape. His chest moved in slow and steady motion, calming her down as she continued crying in silence.

When she felt okay enough, she retreated and sniffed.

Federico looked in despair, so broken and hopeless. He looked like he wanted to grab her again and never let her go. She almost allowed him, but she needed to swallow the pain and continue as if nothing had happened. As if her heart wasn't bleeding.

He lowered his head as his gaze locked with hers. His stare was steady, studying her. "What can I do?" He whispered. "How can I solve it?"

You can start by being less perfect for me so I can stop being in love with you and stop hurting so much all the time I'm around, wishing for something that can never happen.

A bitter smile crossed her face, and she shook her head. "Nothing." She sniffed, breaking their gaze, and looking down to her shoes. "Sorry about that. Sorry for disrupting you. I shouldn't have come. It's just that..."

She exhaled, a sense of powerlessness wrapping her.

"It's just that I didn't know where else to go and you...you are..."

You are my safe space. My happy escape. The one place I always want to be. And I felt weak for a moment, I couldn't resist. I wanted to pretend I was entitled to be here for you to console me.