Chapter Twenty-Five

It was wrong how serious and solemn Federico looked. So unlike his easy smiles and gleaming eyes.

For a second there, Ally wanted to change her answer. Tell him not to talk about it.

Because when you liked someone, you didn't force them to talk about something they were not ready to share. Or in Ally's case, she wasn't ready to hear.

But then he asked, "What has Nina told you?"

Okay. They were doing it.

She exhaled. "Not much."

He raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to elaborate. There wasn't much to elaborate on. She swallowed as she tried to remember the last time they talked about the topic.

"She said you hurt her. Bad. But she never said what you did to make her break up with you."

There was an uncomfortable pause before he answered.

"I was the one who broke up with her," He said slowly, making her heart halt.

What?

She frowned at him, more confused than ever.

This was news. Ally tried to remember when Nina announced she and Federico had broken up. She tried to recall what Nina had said.

She came up empty.

She remembered Nina was devastated one night. Ally didn't question, she knew it was because of Federico. Not many evoked emotions from her sister unless it was someone close to her heart. As far as Ally knew, Nina hadn't contacted her father for years, much less read the messages he sent from time to time, it was unlike the tears that belonged to him.

When Ally tried to push for what had happened, Nina had clamped up about the situation.

Ally couldn't remember if Nina had said they had broken up or that she had broken up with Federico. But she remembered Nina pressing not to discuss the topic.

However, Ally did recall mentioning many times Nina initiated the rupture and Nina never corrected the assumption. For some reason...

"You broke up with Nina," Ally stated, stupefied. She could say it out loud, run it over and over in her head, or even write it down and wouldn't comprehend it.

She also couldn't comprehend why Nina would break up with Federico too. Her conclusion was because of something terrible he did.

But that wasn't the case.

God. Was Nina the one who did something wrong? Was she the one to blame? Maybe. That might explain why Nina seemed reluctant to say what she did. Why she had avoided the topics for months.

It could also explain what he didn't do. Nina had mentioned something about him not doing that had hurt her. It might mean that Federico didn't forgive her.

Oh no.

Ally was definitely not ready to listen to any of this.

Retreat. Backtrack. Now before listening to something grotesque. Gah. This is not the grotesque I needed minutes ago.

But Federico seemed to be reading her mind and prognosticating when she was freaking out and ready to bail because seconds before she could protest, he spoke again.

"My breaking was not in the best moment. I have to admit." He swallowed, looking down. "Or in the best way."

Now she was more confused than before. Nothing of what she thought connected with what he said.

"I'm so lost," She said, scowling at him as he glanced up at her and something passed in his eyes.

Hmm. So that's what remorse looks like on his face.

During the Thunderstorm (Natural Disaster) ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara