Chapter Twenty-Nine

"No," Alexander said, narrowing his eyes at Cole.

"What do you mean no?" Cole asked.

"No, I'm not playing that. No, you are not allowed to play that in the bar either," Alexander finalized, crossing his arms over his chest to put more force into his inflexible laws. "No."

"Dude, cheer up for once," Cole said with an exhale. "You already have lines on your forehead and none of us is going to be a dermatologist, so no free Botox."

Ally raised her eyebrows in amusement.

"I recommend less frowning," Cole went on. "And to ice your face to tense the skin and enhance circulation. Also, Nina, pass your old cousin the recipe for that mask we did the other night."

Hunter snorted. "What the fuck do you do in your sleepovers?"

"I don't know and I'm there half the time," Ally said with a chuckle. "But someone should start prohibiting them."

"What? Why?" Cole whined.

"You have traumatized me enough. Can't emphasize enough how creepy it was to wake up with someone with a green face staring at you while you're asleep. In peace."

"I was going to ask you to join us to watch a movie."

"I was asleep. It was two in the morning, and you weren't asking anything. You were staring," Ally fought back and before she could fight further, her phone buzzed. She instantly glanced down and perked up when she saw it was a message from Federico.

Federico: Where are you?

Allegra: I'm at Alex's bar.

Federico: What? You're going to miss this?

He attached a photo of two drinks. One was his usual sewer water and the other was a new drink. A drink Ally'd been meaning to try but always decided against it because she was basic and needed coffee.

Allegra: Sorry

And she really meant it. She didn't know if she felt sorry for him or for herself. Squandering an afternoon instead of seeing Federico was a crime.

Once Ally raised her head, all her friends were laughing. She was at a loss.

"Laugh all you want," Cole said with a fake annoyed look. He sniffed. "When we are forty, I'm going to look hot as fuck like a 20-year-old. While all of you are going to look like 60s grandpas."

Rhys snorted. "Sure, Winston. I can see how magical that mask was. You look 13."

Hunter threw his head back and laughed hard. Meanwhile, Alexander coughed and turned away to laugh without anyone noticing.

"Surfer boy here," Cole nodded toward Rhys, unperturbed by Rhys's comment. "Is going to look like a prune from all the sun exposure he's getting."

"Sorry, man, to burst your bubble but I ice my face. After surfing. Daily," Rhys answered with a serious face and Nina snorted because the thought was ridiculous.

Cole chuckled, shaking his head. "Fine, you'll look 55. What do you say, Cora?"

Coraline widened her eyes at being called into the discussion and then narrowed her eyes at Cole without saying a word.

He grinned and then said, "Alexander will be a disgusting prune covered in yogurt."

What?

Ally scowled and opened her mouth but was once again distracted by her phone.

Federico: Don't really tell me I have to study for once

Federico: This sucks

God. He sounded adorable. And she very much wanted to leave and go there. Even if it meant tasting more of his tea.