Chapter Thirty-Four

Before Ally could get into the café, she found Federico leaning against the entrance.

His head was bent over his phone, but once he sensed she'd arrived, he lifted his head, and his mouth broke into a smile.

"Ally!" His deep voice crawled up her arms, raising the hairs there. He pushed away from the wall and stepped in front of her. His huge height towered over her. It looked like he was engulfing her.

Before she could answer, he bent over and wrapped his arms around her waist. His palms were pressed against her back and side, pushing her closer to him. His chest was firm against her, and she closed her eyes for a second. Then, he dropped a lingering kiss on her forehead.

She didn't know when he had decided to hug her and kiss her forehead or temple as a greeting, but she was a fan of it. They could continue this routine whenever they saw each other.

"Hey," She muttered against his chest as he squeezed her for a brief second, unwilling to let her go before removing his arms from her and retreating.

She smiled up at him as he opened the door and guided her in. His hand was secured on the back of her spine. Even though the café was relatively empty, he refused to remove it.

Her heart somersaulted as she breathed in and out, making a beeline to the counter. There was something potent, heady, and confusing in the way Federico was behaving today. It was decisive and sure. He seemed to be holding back though, but it was seeping. There was a restlessness like something was coming. He was impatient.

She noticed it once more when she stood in front of the counter and asked for her usual. She felt Federico inches behind her, but it could be the same as if he was pressing against her. She felt every expansion of his chest, brushing briefly against her back. His arms caged her. His grip on the counter was harsh like he was forcing his hands to remain there.

She swallowed and forced a wobbly smile at the barista.

"Hi, black coffee for me. Small," She said and groped for her wallet, trying not to move too much, scared to snap Federico out of his control. Whatever it was he was holding back from. It was a delicate balance.

As she glanced down to pull her card, Federico spoke over her shoulder and passed his card. "Black tea for me," He announced.

She turned her head to tell him she was going to pay him back, but his serious face stopped her. His green eyes were dark. Something was running in his head. She wanted in that head of his.

The moment broke when the barista passed a receipt and asked for the next client. They moved to the side, waiting for their drinks. The distance between them caused Ally to breathe more easily.

She turned to him and crossed her arms. "I'll pay you back."

He shook his head. "Take it as an apology for yesterday. Also, I have a feeling you'll be spitting half that coffee."

"Why?"

"I have to show you something," He said.

"Is it going to be another funny video of you drunk?" She smiled, hoping to cajole a smile from him. He was a bit serious today. It rubbed her the wrong way.

"No," He said with a soft smile. It wasn't radiant. He actually seemed to be hiding something. When he shoved his hands into his pockets, she narrowed her eyes. Was he embarrassed?

"I'm confused."

"You'll see." He exhaled with a reassuring smile and once their drinks were ready, he guided her to a table in the far end of the café.

The many times they were here, Ally had felt in a bubble around him. It was him and her, and the outside world could wait. He managed to grasp all her interest which wasn't hard when he was pouring large quantities of charm on her. It was hard to be distracted by anything but him.