Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Ugh," Ally grumbled, already regretting her decision. Every second that passed was excruciating.

Why people did this? Why did Nina think this was joyful and peaceful? No wonder Cole complained every time.

It all made sense now.

Now that Ally decided to tag along for a run. With Nina. Who was in perfect shape. Who ran every day. And even though they shared the same height, Nina seemed to have longer freaking legs.

Nina arched an eyebrow at Ally. "You know we are just warming up, right?"

Were they?

Warming up to die, more likely.

Ally dropped her head. What was she thinking?

Right. She had the stupid idea of telling Nina that she was going to South America to visit their father. Nina might get angry. Might try to dissuade her from going. Might insult their father. And Ally in order to keep the peace between them, would agree and not go. But then, since Nina was jogging, she might channel her anger into the run, and in the end, she might only shrug.

And Ally could go to South America without having disturbed her sister much. Without feeling like she was betraying her sister again.

Seriously, what was up with her desires and Nina's dislikes? They were opposites.

Anyway, it sounded like a good plan.

Until she had to execute it.

At the pace they were going, Ally would die before they reached actual jogging, and she wouldn't end up going to South America. Or seeing Federico again.

Her heart beat harder and faster—if that was possible.

"How does Cole manage this?" Ally whizzed.

"He complains as much as you do." Nina rolled her eyes, seeming unaffected by the heat and the pace of the warmup. Or the suffocating air.

What was she? A robot?

Ally would have a hard time believing otherwise.

"I feel him."

Nina's lip curled softly. "You know, he complains all the while until we reach the beach."

"Why? You make a merciful stop and drown in the ocean?"

Nina laughed and turned to Ally with a surprised look. "You are having surprisingly morbid thoughts today."

"Probably because I've been thinking about my death more often today than any other day. I've been thinking about being killed by birds. Having a heart attack and drowning in the sea."

"More than being on a plane? I'm surprised," Nina answered.

"Okay, let's not exaggerate."

Nina chuckled. "Heads-up, we don't stop at the beach. Cole shuts down a block from the beach, straightens his posture, removes his shirt, and speeds up. Do you know why? Because he wants to impress the girls at the beach."

"Should have seen that," It came as a growl mingled with amusement.

Oh, Cole. So predictable.

Nina hummed. And Ally tilted her face, studying her sister. Besides looking like she wasn't frying under the sun, Nina was calm and collected at the mention of her best friend.

"Are you going to miss him?" Ally ventured. "Once you go to England?"

She shrugged. "He's annoying."

"Come on," Ally grinned. "It won't kill you to admit that you'll miss him."