Chapter- Forty Six

ROSLYN'S POV:

I smiled, taking a sip out of the coffee that tasted a lot better, reading those sweet comments on my book's website. The muffled chats and song in the cafe somehow made my concentration sharper and I felt way relaxed.

‘Almost tore the book apart when the cat went missing. Thank god it was a happy ending. ’ one of the readers wrote.

I couldn't help my giggles and grins to all those sweet comments, encouraging Natalie and me to write more books together.

Writing a book together is definitely a challenge but I love working with Nat. She understands the assignment like nobody else.

I turned off the screen to give some attention to my cheesecake, waiting by the side on the table.

I remember coming to this place when I first came to New York and wanted to explore this place but ended up bumping into Weston, the guy who turned out to be a nightmare behind those dreamy talks and smiles.

Hadn't it been for Alonzo stopping me, I'd have fallen deeper in his wicked games, unaware of what he could have been upto. If he can plan murder of the most influential people in the States, he can do anything. It's the fact that he's still free to roam around is what scares me.

Everyone in this cafe has changed since I last visited. Different workers, different owner. I think he moved out.

I pick up the fork and took a bit out of the cheesecake, feeling the soft delight melt in my mouth.

A lot changed since. Still, a part of me feels bad for siding with Weston that day, when I must've been with Alonzo. I'm never making that mistake of judging people off their sugar coated words again.

I took a sip of the coffee to clear these sudden thoughts of past and took a brief look around at the crowd, out of which, most were Alonzo's men, disguised as normal people. Pretty normal for people to carry guns and knifes on the waist belt, isn't it?

This part of the city remains packed everyday, people everywhere. Still this cafe is like a perfect therapy to escape this hustle.

I was ready to leave now, after spending about an hour or more in here. It feels better to sometimes just walk around like a normal person, almost.

I payed for the items and grabbed my handbag off the seat next to me, walking out of the place, towards the car.

The clouded sky above me formed patterns of shapes looking like stuffed toys and cotton candies. It looked so captivating so I thought of taking a picture of it while I was here.

It was just a split of second, between my sight shifting from the sky to my phone in my hand, just when I caught a glimpse of someone.

The memory of that face was somewhere in my head, barely making it out before I was asked by the bodyguards to get in the car as it's not safe to wait outside for too long.

I struggled to get a small sight of that person in the corner of the street, standing as still as a rock in a grey suit with a red scarf in his hand.

As I got inside the car, I tried to peek through the window but there was no sight of anyone in that corner anymore, as if that face I saw for a moment was all imaginary.

“I saw someone there.. ” I mumbled to myself and the bodyguard in the front seat stiffened with his fingers snaking over the gun around his waist.

“Let's go. Quick. ” he ordered the driver as the engine roared and we were far away from the crowd in no time.