S I X: Christmas At Home

25th December 1977  19 Riverbank crescent     Thirty three minutes until Full Moon

25th December 1977
19 Riverbank crescent  
  Thirty three minutes until Full Moon

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
And children listen
To hear slaybells in the snow.

The radio played in the kitchen as Remus stirred a roast potato around in his gravy.

"You haven't eaten anything, honey," Hope said, looking at him.

"I'm not that hungry."

"You need to eat, for your strength." she said, "For tonight."

"I know," he said, putting the potato in his mouth and chewing it. "Where's dad?"

"He's on his way, he got caught up doing something, but he'll be home in time for..."

Remus nodded.

"I'm working up at the pub tonight, Fiona's gonna miss you." Hope said, smiling softly. "Her daughters got a crush on you,"

He rolled his eyes, pushing his plate away from him. "Dinner was lovely, thanks mam,"

Hope didn't comment on how he left almost everything untouched.

The front door opened and Lyall Lupin walked into the kitchen holding a large duffle bag, Remus was about to ask what was in it when he put it down, the sound of chains clinked inside. He saw his mother wince.

"Full moon is in half an hour," was all he said, before heading down to the basement.

Hope gave her son a small smile, stroking the hairs out of his eyes. "You'll be fine,"

Remus nodded. "I know. Have fun at work, and make sure Steven lays off the Guinness."

"It's Christmas, Remus, I can't deny the alcoholic of the village any alcohol, they'd call me Scrooge." Hope chuckled.

"Remus," Lyall's voice called out.

"See you later, mam," Remus said, kissing her cheek, "And Merry Christmas,"

"Merry Christmas, my darling."

He left the kitchen and made his way to the basement, he hated the basement, it was always cold and dark. It used to scare him when he was a child, before the incident.

After that he was forced to spend every single full moon there.

He found his father bolting the chains onto the wall, "Hold this." he said, not looking at his son. Remus took a hold of the chains that would bound him in a few moments. Lyall didn't look at him, he never did on the full moon.

"You missed dinner,"

"I needed to get these, after last time–" Lyall stopped himself as Remus looked over at the chains that had ripped off the wall. "These ones are stronger."

Remus stayed silent, as Lyall took the chain from him, he then looked at his watch, "You should–"

Remus nodded, taking a seat on the ground, his father took his wrist and put it in one the shackles, tightening it, Remus refused to let his father see him wince.

With his wrists and ankles shackled up he thought his father was done, but Lyall pulled out a neck shackle and walked towards him.

"I'm sorry, Remus but–" Lyall began, now it was Remus' turn to not look at him as he placed the cold metal around his neck. "It's to keep you safe."

"It would have been safer for me to transition at Hogwarts–"

"Your mother wanted you home for Christmas." Lyall snapped, bolting the chain into the wall. "You finish school soon, you won't be able to transform there after July, this will keep you safe until we're able to afford the Wolfsbane potion."

Remus nodded, chewing the inside of his cheek.

"I'm sorry again," Lyall said.

Remus rolled his eyes, "You say that all the time,"

"Because I am sorry, Remus. This should never had happened to you–"

"Well it did." Remus snapped, "You should go. It's almost time."

Lyall nodded, standing up. "I'll see you in the morning."

Remus turned his head away as his father shut the door, locking it several times.

The last thing he remembered was crying for the pain to stop.

_________

It's a short one, soz but hope you enjoyed 🌟