T W E N T Y - T H R E E: The Boy Who Cried Werewolf

17th February 1965

17th February 1965

It had snowed during the night, a thick layer of glistening white snow lay on the ground of the Lupin's garden. Hope had seen the snowfall before she went to sleep, she was excited to see the glee on her son's face when he woke up and saw the magical garden, excited to tell him that his school would be shut and they would have to spend the entire day building snowmen, excited to tell him that he could make as many snow angels as he wanted.

Although she would not be able to see the gleeful smile she had pictured the night before, she would never see one so bright ever again, in the night her son was attacked, and he would never be the same little boy again.

She and her husband stayed in the living room, her face was red raw as she hugged her knee's, Lyall paced the room, his footsteps  irritating her.

"Lyall, would you just sit down–"

"Hope, our boy is gone–"

"He is not gone, he is asleep in the next room–"

"You don't understand, Remus is– he's a monster–"

"Don't you dare call my son a monster–" Hope's voice rose with anger, she let go of her legs, letting them fall against the sofa.

Lyall shook with anger and stress. "In the wizarding world they don't accept werewolves, Hope, Remus will be an outcast, he won't ever be able to learn magic, he will never have friends or a fucking girlfriend, he won't ever have a job like a normal person– he– he will never be a normal person."

"Stop it."

"Stop what?"

"Stop talking about him like he isn't your fucking son–"

There was silence.

"Lyall?"

"Da?" Remus' voice called out from his bedroom, his voice strained and confused, his arm covered in bandages. "Da?" he called again.

"Go to him," Lyall waved his hand, taking a seat on his arm chair, burying his face in his hand.

"He wants you," she said, coldly.

"I can't– Hope I'm sorry I can't–"

"He is still our son, Lyall. You can't just shut him out, he is four years old for fuck sake." Hope said, her voice broke, as she walked past her husband and into her son's room. The window was still smashed from the night before, she had already asked Lyall three times to fix it but he hadn't.

"Mam, it hurts," he said, weakly trying to lift himself up, but winced heavily.

It broke her heart to see him hurt, it broke her heart that he had done nothing to deserve this and if her husband had kept his fucking mouth shut none of this would have happened to her little boy.

"I know, my sweet boy," Hope said, brushing his hair aside.

"Where's Da?" Remus' innocent voice asked.

Hope's heart broke, "He's busy,"

"I feel weird, my mouth is really dry, it hurts."

Hope kissed the top of his head, her eyes swollen from her tears. "You will be okay, my sweet boy, I'll always be here for you,"

"I don't like this feeling.,"

She would never forget wiping the tears from his face, she would do anything to  swap places with him. She would never forgive her husband for doing this to her son.

25th March 1978

His head was throbbing, and his ribs felt sore, he could hear mumbling from beside him, it took him a while to figure out whose voice belonged to who's.

"Then where is she?" he heard James' voice, or was that Peter's? They sound similar.

"I sort of locked her in a broom cupboard," that was Sirius, who did he lock in a cupboard?

"What the fuck, Pads?" Now that sounded like Peter.

"What would you have done, Pete?"

Remus let out a groan as he woke up, the harsh light blinded him. He didn't even realise he'd made it to the Hospital wing. "What's gon' on?" he murmured, his mouth was dry, it always was after a full moon, he looked on the table beside the bed, a pitcher of cold water was waiting for him.

"Uhh, there's a bit of bad news," Peter scratched the back of his neck.

Remus' face fell, his heart began to pound. "What did I do?"

"No! Nothing! You didn't do anything." James said, quickly, he was too quick.

He had done something.

"Then why are you all acting like I murdered someone?"

"It's Solana."

His eyes darted towards Sirius, it made him dizzy.

"She was in the Forbidden Forest last night and she... she saw you and she figured it out."

Remus gulped down the water from a glass, his mouth dryer than ever.

"Has she... has she told anyone?"

"Um, no, I kind of..." he hesitated.

"He's locked her in a broom cupboard." James told him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Sirius?"

"I couldn't risk it last night, you have no idea how many people she could have told," Sirius told him.

"You didn't have to lock her in a broom cupboard, for fuck sake,"

"Again what would you have done, huh? Because clearly I did the right thing." Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Have you let her out yet?"

Sirius shook his head.

Remus looked over at the clock, it was just after Midday.  "Let her out,"

"She's going to tell everyone–"

"Let her out of the fucking cupboard, Sirius." Remus' voice was angry, it reminded him too much of his father but he didn't care.

Sirius shook his head as he stood up from his chair. "I don't trust her–"

"Just let her out, if she tells people then she tells people." Remus crossed his arms, as Madam Pomfrey walked over to them with a bowl of warm water. He hadn't noticed that his ribs were bleeding through his shirt.

James gave him a guilty look as Madam Pomfrey cleaned up the wound.

"Sirius," Remus barked as his friend stood there.

"Okay, I'm going." he surrendered his hands. "I'm going,"

After Madam Pomfrey finished she ushered James and Peter out of the hospital wing, demanding Remus needed his rest.

A part of him hoped that Solana would visit him, but who was he kidding?

He would always be a monster to her.

____________

Hope you enjoyed ✨