T W E N T Y - S I X: Sister Sister

6th April 1978

6th April 1978

Solana tapped her foot loudly on the hardwood floor, she glared down at the page that she had been staring at for the past forty five minutes.

"What's up?" Remus asked, leaning back on his chair.

"Nothing,"

"You sure? Looks like you're in deep thought, and you've not touched any of the Cockroach Clusters."

They had a funny smell so she had avoided them.

"You're very observant today," Solana rolled her eyes.

"I'm observant everyday," he said, turning the page of his book, but kept looking at her.

"Yes but today you're extremely observant."

"Well you're extremely bothered by something, and your foot tapping the floor is extremely distracting, but if you don't want to talk then it's fine," he said, continuing to read.

"It's Andromeda's birthday." she said, setting down her book.

"Okay," Remus nodded, he put his book down as well. "Is it a bad joke if I ask if you've wished her Happy Birthday?"

Solana glared at him.

"Of course it was, I apologise," he said sheepishly.

"She sent me a letter on my birthday but I didn't get to open it." Solana said, remembering how Antonin had burnt it before she could decide. She wished it had come when she was alone.

"Did you want to open the letter?" Remus asked.

"I think so," she nodded.

"Have you thought about talking to her?"

Solana shook her head quickly. "Oh, no, I can't."

"Why not?"

"She wouldn't want to speak to me."

"How do you know that?" Remus asked, he leant his elbow on the table resting his cheek on his knuckles.

"Because–" her mind went back to that day in Diagon Alley, Andromeda's face. "I– I was awful to her,"

"You couldn't have been that bad,"

"I called her a um–" she chewed the inside of her cheek, embarrassment filling her face. "I called her a mudblood lover in front of her daughter, she would never forgive me for that."

Remus stared at her, she knew she shouldn't have told him. She braced herself for him to get angry but he didn't.

"Lana," he said, softly. "I think your sister knows your family as well as you do, she would know that you said that to protect yourself."

Solana looked at him, she was so sure he would resent her for saying that but he didn't.

"Why are you so good?" she asked, her throat began to burn but she refused to let him know.