T W E N T Y - O N E: Professor R.J Lupin

16th March 1978

16th March 1978

Remus always had the same breakfast, boiled egg and soldiers. His father always made it for him when he was a child, after the attack his mother began making it for him, but it was never as good as his dad's. The boys used to take the piss out of him when he got older, saying he was too old for the childish breakfast, but he didn't care and he wasn't a big fan of change.

He sat down at the table and cracked open the shell, dipping one of the soldiers into the yellow yolk, he glanced over at the Slytherin table, he saw Antonin sitting with his friends but Solana wasn't there, he hadn't seen her since the day before his birthday, that she was invited to but didn't turn up.

Luckily Sirius hadn't been much of a prick to remind Remus that he was right, and that Remus shouldn't have gotten his hopes up.

"Moons, are you watching us practice later?" James asked, sitting down next to him, grabbing usual porridge with brown sugar sprinkled on top.

Remus shook his head, dipping another soldier into the yolk. "Got tutoring,"

In the corner of his eyes he saw Sirius roll his eyes but he chose to ignore it rather than start something.

"You still have to do that?" Peter asked, his breakfast varied each morning depending on his mood, today he was tucking into beans on toast.

Remus nodded.

"Sucks for you," Sirius commented, he bit into his bacon sandwich, the fatty bits laid on his plate like every morning.

Remus held back rolling his eyes as he scooped the egg out of the shell and ate it in one. Then he began buttering toast and wrapped it in tissue.

"Are you still hungry?" James asked. "You never go for seconds,"

"Bit peckish, plus I want to get most of my work done at the library after,"

"Fair enough," James nodded. "If you change your mind we'll be out on the Quidditch pitch,"

"No thank you," Remus gave a tight smile, putting the toasted bread carefully in his pocket, saying goodbye before leaving the great hall and towards the library.

He waved good morning to Madam Pince who seemed to be scolding a second year who was returning a book "Two months late!"

He took his seat at his usual table, by the window. It had been his favourite since his very first year, it was the only window that didn't overlook the Whomping Willow.

He took out a book from his bag and propped it open but he didn't read it, he merely looked at the words but nothing was going in.

A few moments later the chair opposite him pulled out and Solana took a seat, her eyes seemed red and puffy– even more than when she found out Antonin had cheated on her, the bags under her eyes raised and bruised, her engagement ring still perched on her finger, he couldn't see her wrists underneath her sleeve but he knew there would be marks under there from where she would be tied up, he wondered if it was her idea or Antonin's.