F O R T Y - O N E: Black

Remus hated funerals.

He hated how one day someone you loved and cared for could be gone the next day.

He hated how you could never say goodbye to them properly.

He had gone to many funerals as a young boy, it seemed everyone's grandparents passed away all at the same time. But he had never gone to a funeral for someone his own age ever.

When he held Solana in his arms, his heart broke into a million pieces, but he refused.

He refused to say goodbye to her now, he refused to go to her funeral.

This would not be the end of them.

He refused.

9th June 1978

Everything was black.

Solana couldn't move, she couldn't open her eyes, but she could hear voices– was she supposed to hear voices?

When you die that's it, isn't it?

She concentrated, but she couldn't hear his.

The voices she heard weren't familiar.

Maybe they were Angels?

Angels taking her to her next destination. 

Did Angels exist?

"She's lost a lot of blood," a woman's voice said in a panicked tone.

Surely if she was dead they wouldn't worry about her blood loss.

"We're losing her–"

Solana was confused. She wasn't dead but she was dying.

"Lana," a voice whispered next to her.

She tried to move her head in the direction of the sound, but she couldn't. "Lana, don't leave yet. Please don't leave."

She tried to speak, tried to tell the voice she couldn't hold on.

"Please, Lana, this isn't how we end. This isn't how our story ends."

The voices stopped, then nothing.

☀︎

Her eyelids were heavy as she squinted at the harsh lights above her. Her mouth was dry, in search of a glass of water she turned her head and saw him, wearing a signature jumper and sleeping slumped in a very uncomfortable position, his hand close to hers.

"You're awake," a voice on the other side said to her.

She turned her head, giving her a quick sharp pain "Sirius?"

He gave her a small smile, "How are you feeling?"

"Sore," she tried to lift herself up but winced as the pain in her stomach worsened.

"Healers said you're not supposed to move," he warned.

She slowly leant back down, looking back at Remus. "How long has he been here?"

"Since you got here–"

"How long has that been?"

"About three days," Sirius winced.

Solana swallowed hard, remembering what had occurred. She cleared her throat. "Um, what's happened with–"

"It's sorted," Sirius said.

"What do you mean it's sorted?" Solana asked.

"Dolohov won't bother you, neither will Cygnus or Druella." he told her.