T E N: You Stole My Book

1st February 1978

1st February 1978

Remus was never one to be late. He prided himself on that skill, which he inherited from his mother, well she would always tell him it was a height of disrespect to be late, and that always stuck.

So when he woke up with three minutes to get ready he rushed into the bathroom splashing his face with water and brushing his teeth, he grabbed any clothes he could find before darting out of the dorm, he passed by Peter and Marlene playing an intense game of chess, and accidently knocked over the game.

"Moony!"

"I'm sorry, I'm late–" he shouted back.

He ran into the library earning a confused but angry look from Madam Pince, he smiled in apology as he saw Solana already sitting at their table, her leg raised up on her chair and reading a book.

"You're late," she said, looking at him as he sat down. "A whole six minutes."

"I'm really sorry– I didn't mean to be late– I overslept–"

"Relax Lupin, I'm not going to give you detention." she shook her head, smiling at him.

He tilted his head as he read the cover of the book she was reading. "Romeo and Juliet? I was going to let you borrow it."

"This is your book."

"You stole my book?"

"No... you were going to let me borrow it," she said, smugly.

Remus crossed his arms. "You only just found out,"

"Or am I a seer and I knew all your plans all along?"

"What am I thinking right now?"

"How on Earth did she get the book?"

There was silence.

"See, I told you I'm a seer." she smirked.

"How did you get the book?" He questioned.

She grinned at him, tapping her nose. "That is a secret I will never tell."

Remus rolled his eyes. "Do you at least like it?"

Solana shrugged. "It's not in English–"

He let out a belly laugh. "Yes it is–"

"Wherefore art thou, Romeo! Deny thy father, and refuse thy name. Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I will no longer be a Capulet."

"You spoke English,"

"Barely, also don't you think it's a bit too much to give up everything for a man you've known for... twenty two pages? Less than that actually, they've only just seen one another."

"You are not a fan of forbidden lovers then?"

"Nope," Solana said, closing the book. "Especially when it doesn't make sense, I mean Juliet is supposed to marry Paris and Romeo is to marry Rosaline."

"Yeah but the whole point of the play is that they want to make their own decisions. Juliet doesn't want to marry Paris, she tells her mother that, and Rosaline becomes a nun... so Romeo cannot marry her. Plus just because they are supposed to marry them doesn't mean they have to."

Solana didn't say anything as she took her foot down and rested her elbows on the table. "I guess Juliet is lucky to have Romeo then," she muttered.

Remus furrowed his brows, but shook it off. "You'd be surprised by the end of the book then."

"What happens?" she asked.

"Ah, spoilers." he tapped his nose.

Solana rolled her eyes, "It's a boring book anyway– plus it's not an actual book, it's laid out weird."

"Because it's a play, not a book."

"People watch this?"

He nodded. "It's extremely popular in the muggle world. Well a lot of Shakespeare's plays are popular, when my mam had a bit of extra money we'd go down to the local theatre and they would have at least one of his plays on, mind you the acting wasn't the best."

Solana smiled softly. "Your mum seems nice,"

"Yeah," Remus nodded, tracing a scar on his hand. "She is,"

"Anyway," Solana said, rolling her eyes. "What book am I reading today, Professor Lupin,"

He scoffed. "Professor Lupin?"

"Yeah, well it's either that or prick, which you prefer–"

"Why are you calling me a prick?" he asked, picking up his bag and pulling out a History of Magic book and handing it to her.

"Hey, we said no to History of Magic." she groaned.

Remus tilted his head. "You just called me a prick, plus I don't have another book, unless you would like to finish Romeo and Juliet."

Solana sighed, "I'd rather leave it up to assumption," she opened up the History of Magic book and slumped into a reading position.

Remus gazed at her for a second longer, watching as she tucked a strand of her golden hair behind her ear, the sun lit up her emerald green as she looked up at him.

"You good?"

"Yeah," Remus nodded, shifting in his seat. "Tired is all,"

"Don't start snoring, Lupin," she smirked.

He shook his head. "Don't worry, I won't."

"Your jumpers inside out, by the way."

His cheeks tinged red as he apologised, but she just shook her head grinning.

Hope you enjoyed 🌟