T H I R T Y - S I X: Flower Moon

22nd May 1978

22nd May 1978

"Filthy werewolf!"

Solana's words replayed in his head all day. She had used the same words as his father, Remus had let his guard down with her, he had let her in, he loved her and she broke his heart.

"Alright Moons," James said, taking a seat next to him.

Remus nodded.

"Sorry about tonight, we've tried to get out of it–" his friend began, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's fine," Remus shrugged, he pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, he only had two left..

"Remus no smoking in the common room!" Lily shouted from across the room, but he didn't care, as he lit the tip inhaling the nicotine as if it was his last breath. Sirius made his way over to them, stealing the last cigarette from Remus' pack.

"So Solana is going to be there tomorrow?" he rolled his eyes.

Remus sat back on the sofa, clearing his throat before speaking in a gruff tone. "She won't be there,"

"Huh?"

"Solana won't be there," Remus told him, his tone dry as he rubbed his forehead.

Sirius screwed up his face. "Sorry, I've just gotten ready to deal with her and now she's not even going to be there–"

"Sirius, can you just shut the fuck up and not make everything about you for once in your fucking life!" Remus shouted, stubbing the cigarette into the ashtray he got up from the sofa.

"Moons? Moony?" Sirius called after him, but Remus ignored him as he walked up to the boys dorm. "Remus, what's happened?"

He took a deep breath. "You were right about her,"

"About who– oh," Sirius looked at him sympathetically. "Solana?"

"I liked her Sirius– I– I loved her but she–" he closed his eyes, taking a seat on his bed. "You were right about her, she's just like them."

"I'm sorry Remus," Sirius said, taking a seat next to him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Remus shook his head. "No," He lay back on his bed, "I need to go to the hospital wing later, I'm just going to take a nap."

Sirius nodded, standing up. "I'm here if you need me, yeah?"

Remus raised his brows as a response, then covered his eyes with his arm. Solana's voice was still ringing in his head.

"How are you feeling about tonight, Remus?" Madam Pomfrey asked, before taking his temperature.

He gave her a nod like usual, starting the thread of lies he always told her every month.

"Are you tired at all?"

"No."

"Did you eat your dinner?"

"Yes."

"Have you heard any developments about the wolfsbane potion?"

"No," he shook his head.

"Neither have I," Madam Pomfrey told him, then she checked his forehead again. "Hmm,"

"What is it?" Remus asked.

"It's just you're usually a little bit more enthusiastic–"

He deadpanned, "I'm about to spend ten hours not in control of my own fucking body how enthusiastic am I supposed to be?"

Madam Pomfrey raised her brows.

"Sorry," he muttered, "It's been a bad day,"

"Clearly," she pursed her lips but took no offence.

Professor McGonagall entered the wing, smiling at Remus, he remembered how much he hated that smile, he wished she would treat him like normal, give him a stern look as if he had done something wrong but no, she would always give him a smile.

"Ready Mr Lupin?"

"Yes," he stood up from the bed, holding onto the rails. He refused to let them see him wince so he let go immediately, and followed the two out of the wing, as they crossed the field towards the willow Remus glanced over at the Astronomy tower, the previous month he had seen Solana sitting up there but he hadn't mentioned it to her, this month she wasn't there the tower stood empty. He looked back in front of him, the willow got closer and closer.

"Right, I'll bolt the door shut and we will see you in the morning," Madam Pomfrey told him, Professor McGonagall checked the room over.

Remus nodded, taking a seat by the torn fireplace, he had done that back in second year.

"You'll be fine,"

"I'm always fine," Remus told her.

She smiled at him before closing the door, he heard the clicks of the locks and he shuffled back into his seat, watching as the sun began to set.

As it got darker his body began to ache more and more, it was pitch black when he could feel the full transformation. He groaned as his back began to crack, his arms and legs.

He just needed this part to be quicker then he would be fine.

"Remus?"

He whipped around at the voice, it was Solana standing opposite him, pale and wide eyed, his face dropped.

"You need to leave! GET OUT!" he yelled.

The last thing he remembered was his claw raising and her scream.

____________

This was a short one so I thought I'd update it earlier, hope you enjoyed 💫