T H I R T Y - E I G H T: Portrait

30th May 1978

30th May 1978

It had been a week since he last saw her, a week since Antonin took her and Remus had found nothing. He had been searching for over a week, tirelessly but he couldn't find out a single thing. Solana wasn't at the school and Sirius couldn't find out anything from his family.

"Remus mate, you need to get some sleep," James said, but Remus shook his head.

"I can't sleep when she's out there, he hurts her James–"

"I know. It's just you won't be able to help her if you're weakened–"

Remus rolled his eyes. "I've already got that disadvantage–"

"And you don't want an extra burden, so can you get some sleep."

He hated that James was right.

"I've tried," Remus said, "I can't, I toss and turn, thinking of all the things I could have done that would have saved her and now I don't have a clue where the fuck she is."

"We're gonna find her, Remus,"

"What if we don't–"

"We will," James said, he took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes. "Sirius is checking everything, Peter, Lils, Marls and Mary are doing everything Remus, we're going to find her."

An owl tapped on the window, James stood to open the window, the owl landed next to Remus, a letter attached to its foot with his name on it.

"Fuck," he breathed as he read the letter.

"What is it?"

He handed the letter to James, rubbing his forehead, he read out loud.

"Dear Mr Lupin,

Due to unforeseen circumstances Miss Black will not be attending the final weeks of the last term, your tutoring sessions will come to an abrupt end.

Thank you for your time and patience,

Professor McGonagall."

"Fuck," James breathed out.

He had to do something.

☀︎

30th May 1978

Narcissa had never been at the other end of her fathers wand. She always knew her father well, she would know that she should never talk to him for at least two hours when he woke up, she should never interrupt him, she should never underestimate him, she should never cry and she should never visit him when he was in his study.

As she stormed through the corridors Ziggy the house elf followed behind her.

"Madam Malfoy– your father is in his office."

"I require a word with him," she told him, she pushed open the door with a loud bang, Cygnus Black looked up from his copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Where is she?" she demanded, she slammed her fists down on his desk, the ink from his pot splatted over her hands but she didn't care.

"Who is it you are referring to, Narcissa?" Cygnus asked, tilting his glasses down, his eyes piercing into her eyes.

"Who do you think? Where is Solana?"

Her father leant back into his seat, folding up the paper.

"She's busy–"

"Father, where is she?" Narcissa asked, a lump in her throat burned.

"Solana is..." he tilted his head. "Well she's where she always is when she disobeys me."

"She's in the portrait?" she widened her eyes. "You can't keep her in there!"

Cygnus shook his head. "I'm not the one keeping her in there,"

"Then who is?"

Her father didn't answer her, his eyes guided towards the door which had just opened, Narcissa turned around to see who walked in.

"Antonin," Cygnus voiced like he was greeting an old friend.

"Mr Black," Antonin nodded.

Narcissa stared at the two. "Are you kidding me– Father you cannot let him do this–"

"With all due respect, Narcissa, your sister needs to learn a lesson–" Antonin began.

"You fucking piece of shit–"

"Narcissa!" Cygnus yelled, her eyes locked with his, hers had begun watering but his were not.

"She is your daughter–"

Cygnus shrugged. "By next week Solana will no longer be my problem,"

"What do you mean?"

Antonin cleared his throat. "By next week she will be my wife, and she will obey me."

Narcissa shook her head. "No, Father–"

"Enough Narcissa, please leave, you know you are not meant to be in here," Cygnus told her, waving her away.

"Let me see her."

"She's not allowed visitors–" Antonin began.

"I am not talking to you–" she looked at her father with a begging look.

He cleared his throat. "You will see her in a weeks time–"

"No–"

"That is all Narcissa–"

"How can you do this–"

"She did this to herself–"

"She is a child–"

"She is of age! She should have thought about that before she began involving herself with a dirty half-breed," Cygnus told her, his voice dripping with venom. "You may leave, or shall I contact your husband to come and collect you,"

She bit the inside of her cheek. "When is the wedding?"

"A week from today," Antonin said. "Noon,"

Narcissa nodded before leaving her father's study, wiping away the tears from her cheeks.

________________

Hope you enjoyed