28 || Invisible string

"Can I ask you something?" Blaine asks while the two of us are sat in his bed

"Yeah."

"How old were you when your eating disorder first started?"

"I don't know exactly. Normally for me it gradually happens, half of the time I don't realise until it's too late. But I think my tendencies started when I was around 11."

"11? That's so young. You were just a child."

"When I started not eating as much it was harmless at first but when I started comparing my body to other peoples and started feeling guilty for eating was when it took a turn for the worse. I didn't even know what an eating disorder was, I was that young. I thought that I was alone." I say. "As it progressed I got some really bad symptoms, Sidney noticed and got worried about me. He told my parents and we went to the hospital. They asked me all these questions but I didn't want to worry anyone anymore than I already had so I lied. After that I was more careful. I'd eat infront of people for show and later throw it back up. One day I was in complete agony, my stomach was hurting so much I couldn't physically move from my bed. Against my wishes, Sidney called an ambulance. The doctor at the hospital did some tests to rule out things, she was really nice and so when she asked me questions and I was alone I answered them. I still didn't fully know what was wrong with me but she reassured me and told me that there were websites and more information and that I wasn't alone. They kept me in hospital for a while and tried to get me to recover. The problem was I didn't want to recover and so I didn't. I had to continuously lie about how I was feeling, I managed to convince them that I was fine. The day that they let me out my dad died."

"I'm sorry." Blaine says.

"Don't be, it was his own fault." Blaine looks confused but doesn't ask any follow up questions. "I was in the car when he crashed. I called Sidney and he took me home. He called the authorities and sorted everything out."

"He called me." Blaine says. "I'm the one who sorted it. I didn't know it was your father though. Your brother, Rowan as I knew him at the time, never told me any details. He worked at my bar before then and knew what I was capable of so he asked for a favor."

"So he joined your mafia because of me?"

"Last time I checked you weren't the one behind the wheel. Driving while under the influence is one thing but with your own child in the car?"

"How did you know he was drunk?" I ask.

"As soon as I opened the car door I could smell it." He says.

"Around a year later I was hospitalized again. My body went into shock and I almost died. I decided to choose recovery and with a lot of work I managed to get to where I wanted to be. At one of my first sessions my therapist recommended getting an emotional support animal. I didn't think much of it at first but when Sidney and I walked into that pet shop and I saw Frinkles, I just knew that he was the one. It was the same year I started baking and kinda turned my life back around. I still struggled a lot after that but I knew I was going down the right path. When I thought Sidney died and my mom left me I relapsed but I caught it almost straight away and managed to stop the bad habits before they became too bad. This time was different, I didn't just miss the warning signs I ignored them. This time I convinced myself that I was fine."