49 || Forever & Always

How is it that one says goodbye to something of importance?

What do you do when there's no more pages left, when the story comes to an end?

I guess the only way I can answer that is to start over. To rebuild or to move on. Moving on can look different in each case. I believe moving on can be finding something new but still carrying with you the sacred memories you've made.

It physically hurts to see all of these books reduced to ash, a burnt up shell of what they once were. My house, the place I used to call home, scorched. Not only is this place covered in fire remnants, it's covered in reminders of that night and the fear I felt.

I'm being forced to let go. I know that it's the right choice but that doesn't make it any easier.

This place used to bring me joy now it just doesn't feel the same.

I was lucky enough to have all of my important things at Blaine's house when the fire happened. I don't think I could've handled if something happened to Frinkles or Whisper. I'm also incredibly lucky that I have an amazing boyfriend who I was already technically living with.

It's strange how one, small, seemingly unimportant decision can make such an impact. If I'd have taken the time to pack my things to come back home they would be destroyed. If I'd have brought Frinkles and Whisper they could've been hurt. If I'd have missed work the day I met Marcus (or whatever his real name was) I'd have never have been kidnapped and while the kidnapping wasn't a particularly pleasant experience it's what lead me here. It's how Blaine and I grew closer.

Everything happens for a reason and if that reason is unclear it's only because you can't yet see the full picture.

"Are you ok?" Blaine asks, wrapping an arm around me from behind as I look at my half-destroyed bookshelf.

"I was going to read those books eventually." I state. "Now imagine how many stories are untold."

"Cass, we can buy more books, the same exact ones if you like. What we can't replace is you. You're the only important thing that was in the house that night."

"Well...I mean at one point Francisco was technically in the hou-"

"You know what I mean."

"So you admit it, you care about him?" I ask turning in Blaine's hold to look at him.

"He's like a brother to me so yes, I care."

"Are you still annoyed at him dating Vanessa?"

"I think I'll always be slightly annoyed about that but it doesn't also mean I can't be supportive."

I feel like we've both grown so much together.

When we get back home I head into the closet. I need something to wear for tomorrow's ball. I probably should've picked something before now but we've been busy.