five; in circles

AN: You guys are seriously smashing the votes and comments and it makes my heart so warm! Remember if you want quicker updates, please do hit the vote button and leave your thoughts along the way! Love you all xxx

For the first five minutes, neither of us say anything. I can see Milo out of the corner of my eye, his mouth opens only to shut again a few seconds later. I fold my arms across my chest even though it's not cold but for some reason I feel bare and exposed.

We walk through the trees on this peaceful day, even the birds are chirping loudly and that's saying something. I huff out a long sigh. This was a bad idea already.

The bond between us zaps when I step a little too close to him, forcing me to take another step in the opposite direction. Milo pretends not to notice but I can see it in his gaze, the blueness of his eyes are slowly dimming by the second.

"Thank you," Milo says after a while, his eyes trained on the ground as if staring at me is too much for him right now. "For coming to meet me."

I shrug and turn towards the nearest tree. "You said you'd explain and if I want to call things off then I have your blessing to do so."

Milo tenses beside me because it tugs on our matebond—the one I thought would pretty much be nonexistent. It sends a subtle shiver down my spine, my wolf egging me on to say something more to lessen the blow. But I can't.

"I know," Milo says quietly. "I'm sorry for what happened."

"You've already apologised," I say coldly. "You said you were going to explain. So explain."

Milo turns to me abruptly and blinks once and then twice. His throat clears loudly and he tugs on his fingers in front of him, as if what he wanted to say, he no longer can. I frown at his actions and wait for him to say something.

"I was naive before," he whispers as if he's ashamed. "About the idea of a mate or having a bond with someone else for life. A part of me didn't believe it because it didn't work out for my parents and when I saw my sister with her mate and Everett with Reign, I just couldn't believe people would turn that soppy."

My chest tightens and I don't know whether I should be offended or complimented. I can feel my head spin anyway because I'm not entirely sure where this is going and what he's trying to say, so I stay silent and focus on the leaves beneath my feet.

"And then I felt you—" he cuts himself off. "I saw you standing there and everything just made sense. Despite my poor judgement before. I felt like a fool, a fool to do that to you. To cause you that pain. I'm not perfect, I certainly wasn't then but I want to put things right."

I chew on the inside of my lip, tightening my arms around my body. "I don't know if anything between us can be put right."

Milo's eyes glimmer from beside me but I don't turn his attention towards him. "You don't mean that."