forty-eight; go and live

♥

My head is completely muddled. I thought I saw the light twice and now... I see even more light. The soreness of my eyes burn and I barely force them open to find my body being cradled by my mate.

His scent is the first thing I smell. It's sweet and homely. It's comforting but something doesn't feel right.

I should have died. I shouldn't be here.

My body attempts to move but I have no energy. Even my mouth tastes like a desert. I haven't had a drop of water in what feels like days. But I feel like I could have been dead for years.

Nate is sobbing beside me, rocking me between his strong arms. His head buries in my neck then my shoulder, his tears don't stop and the sound of his cries break my heart.

I don't realise that I'm still gasping for breath when my eardrums begin to sharpen and I start hearing everything around me that isn't my mates intense sobbing. Being confined in a box really fucks with your head, your emotions. I don't feel normal right now. I feel numb and broken. All the pain I felt before comes flooding back.

For a moment I was at peace. I wanted to slip away for good. It would have been better for everyone. I'd never let anyone down again. I'd never have to worry that I'm disappointing people.

Nate kisses my face and my neck and shoulder. I keep blinking to focus my vision but the light is blinding me. He bows his head from the sun and casts a shadow over my face so I can fully open my eyes and see my mate.

This time when I do, my lips tremble. My gorgeous mate. His complexion is pale and his eyes are burning red, as if he's been crying nonstop for hours. But he still is breathtaking, he always has been. Gorgeous.

How did he know I was here?

My heart skips a beat when I remember our last conversation. I was upset–devastated even. I hurt him. I let my addiction win at that moment because I thought throwing myself on him for sex would help. Just like Everett said. Of course I fucked up things between us because that's all I'm good at.

I focus on his chocolate brown eyes. Familiar. I missed them.

He watches me carefully as my lips part. "Y-You–" the word stings on my tongue because of how dry my mouth is.

Nate leans closer to hear me. "What is it, Milo?"

My tongue extends to run across my lip but it's no use, it might as well be cement. "You," I exhale quietly. "You hate me."

His expression crumbles within seconds, his eyes closing as his head shakes with determination. Then when he opens his eyes again, he pushes back my hair and cups the nape of my neck gently. "I could never hate you, Milo. Not even if I tried."

"I hurt you," I rasp, a single tear rolling down the side of my face.

Nate's throat tenses and I hear the sharp intake of breath. "We don't need to talk about this right now. I want to focus on you, Milo. Only you. I thought I lost you." His voice cracks on the last word and I've never seen so much raw emotion expressed on his face.