thirty-seven; intimate moments

♥

At some point Viola takes herself to bed, thanking us for making her feel better. When I said she's family, I meant it. Reign has implemented that thought into my head, we don't have to be related to really care about one another.

Family doesn't have to mean blood.

We say goodnight to Viola as Nate shuts the door behind her. For a moment he pauses and my brows begin to crease. "Everything okay?" I ask when he loiters for a second.

"Yeah," he nods, his head hanging a little.

Something doesn't feel right. I can read Nate's body language from a mile away and it's obvious he wants to say something, he's just not saying it. For whatever reason.

I shuffle on his bed and press my back into the headboard. "You sure? Was it the comment about Chris Hemsworth? Because I promise he has nothing on you. I mean I fancy him... sure, but I fancy you a thousand times more."

Nate laughs hesitantly and runs his hand through his long hair, cupping the back of his neck. After a few moments he finally turns to me and I focus on his brown eyes. I can't read his emotions and the bond isn't doing anything to help.

Shit. I shouldn't have mentioned Chris Hemsworth at all.

"Nate..."

"Do you know how much I appreciate you?"

I blink once and then twice. "Wha–" I cut myself off. "Of course I do. Just like how you know how much I appreciate you."

Nate shakes his head. "No, I want to talk about how much I deeply appreciate you and your kind, generous nature."

My tongue extends to lick my lip for a second. "Okay..." I trail off. "Is this abo–"

"You were treating Viola like a sister of your own," he cuts over me, his eyes latching onto mine for a moment. "You didn't even flinch at the thought of spending time with her, of her interrupting our time after what just went down. You put in so much effort to make her feel wanted and comfortable."

I can feel my heart rattle inside my chest. Where is he going with this?

"Well of course," I say quietly. "She's your twin, your best friend. That means she's a part of my life and my family too. I'd never want her to think I wasn't welcoming, I wanted to make sure that she's okay."

Nate takes a few large steps over to the bed until he's looming over me. "You genuinely have no idea how much that means to me," he rasps. "The fact you didn't even care she was being involved in our time."

I shrug simply. "Well, I know I'm going to have you for the rest of my life so it's okay to share you with others when they need the care and attention more than us."

"Fuck," he curses and sits down on the bed beside me.

My eyes remain on his face as I study him. Nate's jaw tenses and then relaxes, a few times over. After a couple of moments he glances up and I flash him a small smile. I know how appreciative he is of me and it makes my heart thrive.