thirteen; friends for life

♥

When I head home, I have a permanent smile on my face.

Nothing is going to ruin this high. It's better than a fucking orgasm. I can tell you that.

Nate's scent still lingers on my jacket and it makes me feel warm and giddy inside–like some stupid love struck teenager. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I might have asked for the hug but he was the one who gave it to me.

I could feel the weight of his stress on the bond and I wanted to do anything to make him feel a tiny bit better. I could hear him sigh a breath of relief as we pressed our chests against one another, our racing hearts falling in rhythm with one another.

As I walk through the front door, I spot Reign sitting in the kitchen. Her eyes light up at the sight of me and she walks straight towards me, her arms opening for an embrace and I gladly return it.

Her little body slides against mine and she presses her head into my shoulder, my chin resting on the top of her head. God, I missed her. It was like losing a limb–I couldn't even imagine how Everett felt.

I don't want to think of it. If something like that happened between me and Nate–

"Happy to be home," she exhales and I know she's smiling.

After a few moments I pull away from her embrace and glance over her soft face. "Things with you and Everett okay?"

Reign nods instantly. "Yes, very."

I purse my lips quickly, my head angling towards her and I finally drop my arms from her body. "He was a fucking ass to you, Reign," I state. "I hope you gave him a hard time."

"I think a month away from him without knowing where I was is torture enough. Don't you think?"

She has a point. My mouth slants to the side subtly. "I guess so, you should see his office."

Reign's eyebrows drop dramatically and she steps closer. "What do you mean?"

Shit. She doesn't know.

My fingers begin to tingle and I lace them together behind my back. "Maybe you should see for yourself."

Her eyes flick past my shoulder, at his office door that is firmly shut. Then she bites down on her bottom lip and she walks straight towards it, I keep close behind her.

I watch as her shaky hand raises to the handle and she pushes it open, a strained gasp falling from her lips. I haven't been in here since Everett destroyed it but it looks worse than I remembered.

Everything is broken, pictures, furniture, dents in the wall.

"Holy fuck," she exhales, her delicate hand covering her mouth.

Reign steps inside, having a better look at the damage. I wince internally at her reaction, I probably shouldn't have been the one to show her this but it explains what was going on in Everett's head. Complete despair.