fifty-five; my alpha

♥

Today is the day of my official ceremony but it's not just to celebrate becoming the new Alpha, it's to celebrate Imogen becoming Beta. The time that Leon and my father spent running this pack–all the effort we've made as a group.

It's a joint ceremony for each individual. I can't believe it's happening already.

The last few weeks have been helping Milo adjust into life in the pack. Reminding him that this is his home now and he's not a visitor, he has as much right to be here as anyone else. It's taking a while for him to understand that.

He's been having regular sessions with Layla, I even came to a few because he wanted me there. It gave me an insight into what they talk about, how they attempt to resolve issues and what it does for Milo's mental stability afterwards.

A few times Layla has asked me to contribute. Not that we need couples therapy already but she likes to gauge my thoughts and ideas on certain things. I didn't want to bombard Milo's sessions, by any means but he turned to me and smiled with support. He wanted to hear what I thought.

If anything it's solidified our relationship even more. I like listening to Milo speak as he opens up about things I didn't know were bothering him. The space Layla holds is safe and I love that he has the opportunity to let everything out.

We both know he's working his way up to being that open and honest with me but I know his insecurities about me running in the opposite direction. Which will never happen. Not in a million years.

I focus back on the mirror and adjust my tie. I've been here for fifteen minutes trying to perfect this look. I have no idea why all of a sudden I'm desperate to please others with my appearance but today is a big day and I want it to be memorable. Especially in the way I present myself.

"Mmm," I hear from behind me. My eyes dart to the reflection to find Milo leaning on the doorframe with one foot over the other, arms crossed over his chest. He's in a grey suit and freshly pressed white shirt. The buttons are undone and I get a glimpse of his glowing collarbones and sternum. He bites his lips as he analyses me. "Aren't you the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen?"

A laugh falls from my lips, my hands falling away from my tie that cannot be adjusted anymore. "Speak for yourself, handsome."

I glance at his hair noticing that he's styled it for the first time since I've met him–he looks fucking good. A few strands messily fall on his forehead whilst the rest is swept in different directions but in an organised fashion.

He takes two steps into the room before settling behind me. His arms wrap around my chest and I close my eyes, his scent swarming me and calming me at the same time. A kiss is pressed behind my earlobe and I groan quietly. "Are you ready?" He whispers.

"As long as you're by my side," I open my eyes to find him staring back at me in the mirror with the world's biggest supportive smile. I melt. "Then yes."