seven; trauma

♥

When my father decides to train the pack, I always expect the worst.

He's a born fighter. A wolf that is bloodthirsty for the right opponent. But since our Alpha has been taken ill, he's been a thousand times more brutal with everything that he does. Taking training to a new extreme and me and Viola are always at the wrath of it.

I can feel my wolf begin to weaken from the hours that we have been out here. Being worked to the bone until we're practically just dust, but my father doesn't give up–he tells us to push through.

My head turns across the forest to find Viola's wolf fighting with another, recognising the fur as an older male. I frown at the way they tussle, circling each other as Viola jumps out of the way because she is practically midway through having a panic attack.

I press my feet into the grounds of dirt and make my way over to them. My father is standing on the edge in his human form, watching carefully as the wolf lunges for Viola, pushing her backwards as she plummets to the floor.

What the fuck, dad? I growl through the mindlink.

He doesn't even look at me as Viola gets back up, her back leg now bleeding.

He's literally twice her size, twice her strength. She's going to get hurt.

I watch him wave it off with a hand. "How will she ever learn if she doesn't challenge herself? She's fine. I won't let her get too hurt."

My eyes flare in his direction, resisting the urge to charge him into the floor and see how he likes it. But I don't because I know it'll make the situation ten times worse and I don't want to know how that will end for the pair of us.

"Again!" He bellows across the ground.

Viola's little grey wolf turns to him, dehydration evident in her face and the blood from her leg is now dripping onto the dirty ground. Before she even has a chance to turn back to her opponent, he lunges for her. Her wolf goes flying into the nearest tree, back cracking against the bark.

My wolf releases a deep howl of frustration as my father stares back with a bored expression. Stop this, right now.

"No," he snarls at me. "She needs to get better. She needs to get stronger."

And you are going to break her.

Before he has the chance to respond I jump into the circle and prowl towards her, snapping my jaw at the opponent. Telling him to back the hell off. He glances at my father and then retreats a few steps.

I use my snout to nuzzle into Viola as she quivers against the floor. Are you okay? Are you really hurt? I direct to her.

Viola's wolf whines in agony and I release a growl towards my father who is walking towards us. The next second I'm shifting back into my human form and I grab my clothes, shoving them on as I glare at my father who is just tutting at us.