forty-two; a failure

♥

The rest of the gathering goes by fairly slowly. I'm pleased that Nate can be right by my side with my family and friends. It's a nice dynamic, different to usual but I wouldn't change a thing.

I collect two fresh glasses of prosecco from the trays that are floating around. I hand one to Nate and he thanks me. "You look so sexy in a suit," I mutter under a breath.

He laughs gently. "So do you."

"Guess we scrub up well," I drop my voice to liquid seduction.

"I guess we do." Nate's dark eyes sparkle and my stomach does a somersault.

Reign's body sways into me and I turn to her, Everett clutching her arms to stabilise her body. "Angel," he murmurs as her head rolls. "Reign, you're burning up."

I step around her to look at her face. It's obvious she's not in a good way, sweat covers her face and her skin is sickly pale. "I-I don't feel good," she gargles.

Everett's eyes are frantic and I feel my heart pulse inside my neck. "Let's get you home," he murmurs and tugs her towards him.

But her legs don't want to cooperate and she stumbles slightly, almost face planting the floor. Everett catches her but I lean out my hand. "Reign," I whisper and she turns her head to my voice but her eyes are closed.

My hand presses to her shoulder but Everett pushes me away. "Step away from her," he growls at me and I flinch from his tone.

"Ev–"

"I said step away!"

Reign practically falls limp in his hold so he pulls her up into his strong arms. My voice is lodged in my throat because I don't understand what just happened. I was only trying to help, why is he acting so nasty?

Nate grips my hand as Everett hauls Reign away. "I better go," I murmur and he nods at me. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he exhales. "Let me know how she is."

I nod and lean forward to press a delicate kiss to his lips. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," he murmurs against me before I pull away.

Quickly I hurry after Everett and stay by him as he takes Reign home. "What do you think is wrong with her?" I ask when he says nothing the entire journey.

His jaw grits together and I realise this isn't the question I should have asked but my anxiety gets the better of me. I don't know what else to say. "I don't know, Milo." He snaps which is expected.

As soon as we get home, he carries her to the infirmary where the doctors get to work straight away. My eyes remain focused on her unconscious body and I clutch my hand to my chest. They said she'd get better, they said she'd make a full recovery.