twenty-nine; a threat

♥

When Milo puts some clothes on and doesn't distract me with his body and those dilated eyes, we lay on his bed together. He's snuggled into my chest, my arm around his shoulders as we watch something on his TV.

I've never done anything like this. Cuddle and relax with someone you deeply care about.

"Reign said that you're taking your Beta role more seriously now," I comment, my fingers brushing over the fabric on his shoulder.

Milo hums and nods. "Yeah, I haven't been to another Alpha's house for a meeting in..." he trails off. "I haven't been to a third party meeting, ever."

A small chuckle passes my lips. "How did it go?"

He shuffles in my hold and turns to look at me. "I don't know if your pack has heard but apparently there is a threat from the North, our district might be under attack."

"What?" The word falls from my mouth within a second. "Since when?"

"The intelligence is pretty new so we're not entirely sure," he admits and I drop my arm from his shoulder to sit up. My brows begin to crease at the fear of a take over. "But Keanu was saying that there is information that the North are planning an attack as they want to take over the country, make it theirs."

I sit back into the headboard and run a hand through my hair. I don't know if Leon and my father are aware but it's a big deal if they're not. "I haven't heard anything about it."

Milo shrugs. "Neither did we until today, apparently it's pretty serious. Keanu and Everett have planned to get the Alpha's to meet up and discuss a plan because he believes it's going to be a bloodbath and I'm really not prepared for it."

My head turns to the window and I stare out of it for a few moments. Shit. "Do we know why they're doing it?"

"Something about taking back their ancestors' land or something," he sighs. "I don't know, it was all a bit complicated. They'll find out more as time goes on, I'm sure. Your pack will probably be contacted very soon, we're planning on working together to protect our land because it might be an army of wolves we need to defend ourselves from."

"Shit," I curse and drag a hand down my face. "This isn't good."

Milo then shakes his head. "Danika said it's pretty serious but they're all acting extremely calm for something so deadly."

"Showing fear will only break the pack into chaos," I comment. "Keeping themselves under control and ordering their pack when they know more information is best, otherwise it'll be carnage and won't be able to control everyone."

His eyes flick between mine slowly and then he smiles. "You'd be a great leader," he comments. "The way you talk, you're passionate. Unlike me, I have no idea what's going on. I stepped up because I'm trying to get myself better, and be distracted. But you... you really seem passionate."